Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy a 15 round extended mag for my Colt Commander M1991A1. All the extended mags I see on the Web are advertised as for 1911s. Will the 1911 mags fit my Commander?

Also, has anyone had any experience with these extended 1911 mags? Are they reliable, or do they malfunction too often?

?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I want to buy a 15 round extended mag for my Colt Commander M1991A1. All the extended mags I see on the Web are advertised as for 1911s. Will the 1911 mags fit my Commander?

Also, has anyone had any experience with these extended 1911 mags? Are they reliable, or do they malfunction too often?
Should, frame is the same, but I don’t know how well the larger capacity would work. I had a Glock 36 that wouldn’t function with the Pierce mag extension . ‘‘Twas me, I’d stick with normal mags. I also had a series 70 government that wouldn’t work with 8 round Wilson mag
?

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Yes
Magazines for a Colt Commander is the same as a Colt Government Model. I have no personal experiance with extended magazines so someone else will have to chime in.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
I have seen quite a few over the years. Some work and some don't. It's a crap shoot.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Mags are so luck of the draw with a 1911. I used to have a Kimber purchased new and the factory mag that came with it was terrible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I kinda guessed those 'extended' jobbers wouldn't be much good. The only reason I was thinking of it was because of the violent nonsense coming when those Social Warrior apes come marching down my street. It looks like I need an AR or similar jobber in order to have an 'instant mulit-response' to those 'peaceful protesters'.

Thanks to all who answered.

·
Registered
11 Posts
When buying my first 1911 in January two different 1911 experts, and they are true experts, advised me to stick with the best quality 7 round magazines for my Commander, even though it came with an 8 round mag. They say the gun was designed for 7 round mags and functions best with them. I don't know if they are right -- all I know is that my LW Commander has run without a hiccup using 7 round Wilson Combat mags.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,893 Posts
That's probably the best solution, just get a high capacity firearm and magazine.

The problem with extended 1911 magazines is that most of them are made by substandard manufactures and the quality and reliability usually is not good.
About the best of them are the Wilson "Bureaucrat" 10 round mags.

For defense against rioters a high capacity rifle or a shotgun may be the better option, but few rioters are going to stick around after the first one or two shots.
They're rioters/looters not suicide Kamakasi's.
Having multiple well-tested reliable magazines for your 1911 will be sufficient in most normal defense situations.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When buying my first 1911 in January two different 1911 experts, and they are true experts, advised me to stick with the best quality 7 round magazines for my Commander, even though it came with an 8 round mag. They say the gun was designed for 7 round mags and functions best with them. I don't know if they are right -- all I know is that my LW Commander has run without a hiccup using 7 round Wilson Combat mags.
I have 8 mags for my Commander. They are made by 3 different companies. Each has worked flawlessly over the years. I guess I got lucky. It seems that hardly anything bought over the last decade or two works worth a damn. Quality control no longer exists.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's probably the best solution, just get a high capacity firearm and magazine.

The problem with extended 1911 magazines is that most of them are made by substandard manufactures and the quality and reliability usually is not good.
About the best of them are the Wilson "Bureaucrat" 10 round mags.

For defense against rioters a high capacity rifle or a shotgun may be the better option, but few rioters are going to stick around after the first one or two shots.
They're rioters/looters not suicide Kamakasi's.
Having multiple well-tested reliable magazines for your 1911 will be sufficient in most normal defense situations.

The problem today is finding a new AR15 or any high capacity rifle. The ones available cost well over a 2K.

A shot gun ain't going to put someone down at a few hundred yards. That distance is what I wish to keep them at before they can start throwing Molotov cocktails or such at my house. Their pistols are also a lot less deadly at that distance. I don't think those punks are marksman with a handgun, although I am now seeing a number of those punks slinging ARs.

You're right, 99% of those punks are cowardly spoiled brats who would go doo-doo in their underwear at the sound and sight of a rifle of any type flipping up the dirt around their feet. However, it seems a number of them are "trained" Antifas, possibly gang members who need more than warning shots. If armed, those will absolutely need to be dropped.

Another problem today is finding ammo for any gun. But I guess that won't be much of a problem when VP Kamala takes our guns away - from my cold, dead hands.

- Archarius -

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've been using CMC Shooting Star (Chip McCormick) magazines, both 8 and 10 rounders, for over 20 years now and they have worked flawlessly in every 1911 I've ever owned. They were all I ever used in my duty gun. It's been my experience that if the CMC mags aren't working then the gun itself has an issue, usually it's the extractor.

·
Registered
532 Posts
"...A shot gun ain't going to put someone down at a few hundred yards. That distance is what I wish to keep them at before they can start throwing Molotov cocktails..."

Rather than focusing on killing the thrower a few hundred yards away, which might be misconstrued by the authorities, consider honing your wing shooting skills and destroying the incoming molotov cocktails in midair.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts