Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking online but have not yet found an example of a Colt Commander 70 series in stainless steel with the old school straight serrations. Does such a pistol exist or were they all nickel satin finish or stainless with slanted serrations? I am looking for an ideal carry pistol and think that a stainless 70 commander with straight serrations and custom gunsmithed with the works would be a great place to start. Thanks in advance for any interest and help in the matter.

·
Registered
7,971 Posts
The stainless ones are Series 80, and I believe they are rollmarked MKIV Series 80.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The Wiley Clapp model in stainless is what you are after. Though it is not your exact match for your specs. They are out there. It would be far easier to find than an old pre series 80 gun. Good luck in you quest.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Colt introduced SS pistols in 1984 and the Series 80 mechanical firing pin safety was introduced in 1983. Except for a few Commanders from the Custom Shop the SS Colt/Talo Clapp Commander introduced last year I think is the first SS Commander without the series 80 mechanical firing pin safety which is why I want one. I guess one could buy a Series 80 pistol and remove the Series 80 parts and use the filler plate Brownells and others sell. Here is a 91 I have where I have replaced the wrap around rubber grips with some stocks from Altamont. I also fit a longer trigger from Wilson.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I saw one online that is a series 80 but does not have the 80 stamp on it. Reads Colt Commander. I was thinking it might be the best option for the upgrades. Nice firearm btw

1 - 7 of 7 Posts