Colt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys got a question that I know some guys will have the answer to. I just received two colts from a relative that has passed estate and I have never owned a colt but the first one I need info I got the year it was made from colt was 1979 and is a commander but I am looking for any other info the finish appears to be a blue slide and silver colored frame not chrome or nickel? not sure,,,serial number is [email protected]@@.............the other 1911is a a1 that has been nickel plated but I will start a new post about that...... just curious if they made a lot with this two tone look is it might be a rare gun any info will help as they have been added to mu collection

Attachments

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
Hard to tell from your picture, but the pistol has had work done to it. Either the frame was refinished or the black Anodizing was removed. Does the frame look like aluminum?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,890 Posts
That's not a standard Commander, it has a Gold Cup wide Target trigger, but fixed sights.
Over the years Colt has made limited runs of aluminum framed guns with a silver anodized finish instead of the usual blue-black anodized finish.
Colt also made limited runs for big distributors that may not be in the factory lisings.

Unless someone recognizes that specif model, the only way to really know what you have may be to buy a Colt Archive letter. Cost is around $75.00 and will tell you the configuration it left the Colt factory in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will look into the letter from colt ..........any idea of value as I have my other guns insured not sure what kind of value to put on it to include with my insurance thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok great I did get to talk with guy in archives at colt he stated that the two tone could be possible as a special order or special order from a dealer.......going to pay the money and find out 700-800 mark is what I was thinking also

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Either way it is a really nice pistol. Even if altered it is something worth holding on to and enjoying. Congrats on your latest addition!

·
Registered
852 Posts
It also appears to have modified sights, and I'm skeptical that the Pachy rubber grips are original.
Let us know what the factory tells you.
Moon

·
Registered
931 Posts
Don't waste your money on a letter hoping that Colt did that. Sights, trigger, beavetail, MSH, and stocks have been replaced. Anyone can do that parts changing. We have all seen hundreds of Colts like this over the years and none of them came from the factory.

Might not be want you want to hear, but way, way more probable than dreaming Colt did that.

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
Looks llike KING'S hardball sights, and the grips safety looks like it might be a King's #206. MSH I think is a Pachmayr.
The frame appears like it might be plain beadblasted aluminum.

·
Premium Member
9,740 Posts
Paul is right. When a non-standard configuration is encountered, the first thought should be that the gun is modified, NOT that it is a "special order." With some possible exceptions in the "Golden Era," Colt never installed aftermarket parts as a "special order."

Unless the features appeal to you for practical use, pass on this one. Its market value is greatly depreciated by the modifications.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.