Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bought I nice colt commando 38 Sn 329x and a E on the bottom of the serial. it is in 98 % cond, I think it was made January 1943. Did the early commando come with wood or plastic grips ?this one have wood look to be right. And my commando is a dark parkerized should it be a greenest parkerized or can this be a reparkerized pistol and that why it have wood grips? can anyone help me with this, any am i rigth about the date of the pistol? one more thing any good web site for Colt commando.

serial is 329x
E

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
In Charles Pate's book; "U.S. Handguns of World War Two", he states that some of the earliest Commandos came with the wood grips from the Official Police models,from which the Commando was derived(and I suspect it took a while to get the "plastic" grips started in production.) As far as the finish,Commandos,were supplied with Parco-Lubrite finish,the same as Colt applied to the .50 Cal. Machine Guns. It was originally almost a black or a dark gray color;have no idea about the greenish tint. The "E" on the grip frame is not mentioned in his book,but Colt New Services,built for the British in First World War,have a similiar E on their grip frames. These original Commandos are quite valuable,not only to Colt Collectors,but to military collectors. The date seem right. Welcome to the forum,and it sounds like a fine example of a very desirable Colt. Bud

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.