Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bought I nice colt commando 38 Sn 329x and a E on the bottom of the serial. it is in 98 % cond, I think it was made January 1943. Did the early commando come with wood or plastic grips ?this one have wood look to be right. And my commando is a dark parkerized should it be a greenest parkerized or can this be a reparkerized pistol and that why it have wood grips? can anyone help me with this, any am i rigth about the date of the pistol? one more thing any good web site for Colt commando.

serial is 329x
E

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
In Charles Pate's book; "U.S. Handguns of World War Two", he states that some of the earliest Commandos came with the wood grips from the Official Police models,from which the Commando was derived(and I suspect it took a while to get the "plastic" grips started in production.) As far as the finish,Commandos,were supplied with Parco-Lubrite finish,the same as Colt applied to the .50 Cal. Machine Guns. It was originally almost a black or a dark gray color;have no idea about the greenish tint. The "E" on the grip frame is not mentioned in his book,but Colt New Services,built for the British in First World War,have a similiar E on their grip frames. These original Commandos are quite valuable,not only to Colt Collectors,but to military collectors. The date seem right. Welcome to the forum,and it sounds like a fine example of a very desirable Colt. Bud

·
Registered
127 Posts
Green tint parkerizing tended to be the byproduct of exposure to cosmoline.

The longer a parked gun was in cosmoline, the darker and more pronounced the shade of green.

NYCPD wound up with about 1,100 Colt Commando's.

RMV

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,899 Posts
The "E" below the serial number is an inspector's mark.

Many, if not MOST older Colt DA revolvers have an inspector's letter stamp on the frame below the serial.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you guy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts