Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a newbie to this forum hello everyone.I recently purchased a Colt Commando Special Cal.38 special.I have heard that this model is basically a detective special with dull blue finish.Made during the Colt strike in the mid 80s.
Does anyone else own one of these any info or opinions are appreciated.Gun is in excellent shape someone took care of it.I bought it for $265 OTD. Thanks

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,677 Posts
You basically heard the straight story.
Colt didn't have enough qualified personnel to polish everything, so they brought out a series of unpolished, flat black revolvers.

Internally, these were as well built and fitted as the standard models, so they were good deals.
Most people didn't care for the rough black finish, so as soon as the strike ended, Colt discontinued the series.

Other revolvers in the series were the Peacekeeper, which was an unpolished Trooper Mark V, and flat black Cobra and Agent versions.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
You didn't mention condition, but that's a much better price than you see them offered and sold at auction online. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Around here $265 would be a GIFT. I'm jealous of your success. BTW I have an agent(ugly cobra) like the one dfariswheel mentioned.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Welcome to the forum Fenderman. Nice Score, since you purchased a somewhat uncommon gun.

Yes I own one of these Commando Specials. The price you paid was more than reasonable! I use mine often when I go out dirt bike riding in the high desert or forest. It is small enough that it does not get in the way, but powerful enough to provide confidence in the event I run across one of those meth labs or pot farms, both of which seem to be found in growing numbers in remote areas.

The Commando Special is what I call a "Poor Mans Detective Special." A number of short cuts were taken to keep the cost as low as possible. The finish is just one such short cut. Imagine how much time and money they were able to save by NOT stamping the horse on the side plate! The point being, it was kind of a cheap gun by design. But for all intent and purposes it is nothing more than an Ugly Duckling sibling to the Detective Special.

Other than the finish, stocks, and no horse, it is every bit a Detective Special.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys.Gun is in about 98% condition.Only thing i dont like are the grips.I have some hogue grips ordered should have them in about a week. Fenderman

1 - 7 of 7 Posts