Colt Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals!!!!

My first posting here to this forum.
Im looking for a Colt Commando revolver, preferably used, because I do plan to shoot it some. Does any one know where Ican get one?
Also, whats the best ammo to use in one of these? I only plan to shoot papertargets at the range with it so I dont need any of that special stuff.
In fact, in my 1911, I just shoot plain ole American Eagle FMJ ammo. I plan to do the same with the commando in .38 special if they make it., any other suggestions???

·
Registered
794 Posts
Hi MIR, welcome to the forum!

I assume you are referring to the Colt Commando made in the early 40's? Came in barrel lengths of 2", 4" & I think 6". Park finish in 38 Spec. The 2" will be be quite pricy. I've seen some with asking price in the $900's! The 4" are more common and affordable.

Of course you can search the auction sites (Gunbroker, Auction arms, GunsAmerica etc) but if you have any big shows in your area, it may be better to find one that way. Reason being is you get to physically inspect the arm your self rather than rely on a written description & a digital photo. Digital photos can make a gun look much better that it actually is.

Also be careful of guns that have been rebarreled with the Commando barrel. They are often NOT a Commando. Get yourself a little book with the S/N ranges & check to be sure it is proper before you lay your money down. I have seen several guns that had Commando barrels but were not Commandos.

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts