Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I found a 4" Colt Commando for sale for $450. The Parkerized finish was excellent except for some thinning/smoothing at the muzzle end and a few light scratches on the cylinder, minor holster wear. The grips were a brown plastic or composite material and excellent, also. Mechanically, it seems as new. It has a winged bomb proof stamp above the cylinder release. Very interesting gun that I know nothing about, the first one I've seen.

Is this a Colt model that has any collector appeal, use as a shooter, or of little interest to Colt people? I never find 4" Colts for sale & wonder if this would be a good one to start with, at the price they're asking? Thanks

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I know very little of them except that they were WWII models. 50,000 units were made from 1942-1945. 4" is the common barrel length, with a 2" and 6" model being harder to come across. A 2nd edition came out in 1984 and ran thru 1986. This model had a 2" barrel on the D-frame.
The $450 price tag sounds about right. Others may add more info, or correct anything I may have gotten wrong.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Shortcut: The deal is OK on the value, but the interest in the Commando revolvers mainly comes from US martial collectors, not pure Colt collectors. The winged bomb you mentioned is actually the 'shell and flame' insignia of the Ordnance Dept. Most of these guns were not issued to military forces but instead went to civilian agencies that were required to purchase their weapons during wartime through the Defense Supplies Corporation. There were a small number of Commandos that are documented as having been issued to military organizations. The Colt 2" Commando which came out for a brief time in the 1980s has no real relationship to the one made in WW2. The '80s gun had an alloy frame and was not very popular. It was quickly discontinued. I'd say that if the martial aspect of the Commando appeals to you, then buy it. However, if you are just looking for a 4" Colt I think you can probably find a nice one a little cheaper than the price on the Commando. The Commando is essentially a parkerized Official Police. Further detailed info can be found in Charlie Pate's Man at Arms articles on the Commando and his book on secondary US WW2 handguns. HTH. Charlie Flick

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all for the information. It's difficult to pass on an older Colt revolver that's in terrific condition.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts