Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I'm toying with the idea of getting one in .45, if I can find one at a LGS. (I'll have to work up a trade.) If I get one, I plan to replace the grips with some all-black double-diamond checkered G10s which I have, and will replace the plastic MSH with a (flat) steel one from Ed Brown. Does anyone happen to know the diameter of the fiber optic rod for the front sight?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
My LGS had 2 of these, one in each caliber. What I didn't like was the finish because both myself and the dealer could not figure out what it is. It kind of looks like a black parkerizing but definitely not their brush blued. And second the blue fiber optic front sight doesn't pick up light well so I can see buyers changing the rod out for red or green. What I did like were the grips which were very attractive and functional. Both pistols felt good in hand and both had really good triggers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Some of the things different are national match barrel, extended beavertail grip safety, 3 hole trigger, fiber optic front sight, matte finish, for about $800 seems to be set up pretty nice!
Dual recoil springs, adjustable Novak rear sight, USMC spec 2 inch groups at 20 yards, extended thumb safety, fitted barrel, tight side to side frame to slide fit, VZ's indestructible grips, and in 9mm should make for a stick on the target IDPA shooter. But, I'm still waiting on mine to come in, been six weeks! MSRP $899.

·
Registered
824 Posts
The finish looks like one of the cheap spray-on finishes to me. OK for competition or a gun that is going to get beat up a bit, but I would pay an extra $100 for this gun with a decent blued finish and some nice checkered walnut grips. That would be a bargain at $900.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
They also have a N.M. Barrel, not sure if they have the thicker bushing also or not but I just remember seeing the nm on all 4 I have seen local. They were listed at 819 and I think 825 at two different places I saw them.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I bought one last month in 9mm, and it's a very nice pistol. The up side is that they sell for less than $800 at the LGS. That puts the retail cost right in the ball park with the Springfield Range Officer. I also own a couple of those. The CG and the RO are comparable in their quality and accuracy.

There are two personal down sides to the CG model:

• First, the VZ stocks are not comfortable in my hands. The checkering is too aggressive, and the "thumb rest" is not very handy. I replaced the VZ's with a set of Altamonts.
  • Second, the blue insert in the front sight is nearly worthless. It does a very poor job of light gathering. Mine was missing the replacement pipes, but Colt mailed them the same day I called about it. The blue has been replaced by the yellow/green.

Now, the upside:
  • The fit of all the parts is excellent. No gaps, burrs, etc.
  • The trigger, while not really light, is crisp, breaks like glass, and has gotten even smoother in the first 1K rounds.
  • Feeding has been nearly 100%.
  • All mags have worked perfectly; Colt, Mec Gar, Wilson, McCormick. The exception was a Kimber FTE, and I suspect it was a light factory Rem/UMC load, since the Kimber worked perfectly after that.
  • The slide lock release and thumb safety are crisp and not sloppy.
  • The bushing and barrel are nice and snug.
  • After a couple of hundred rounds, the accuracy is superb.
  • The finish is very nice. It's a flat black, and I suspect that there will be those who will want to go another route for finish. I like the black though.

Colt "has seen the light". They know there won't be many more chances to keep their place in the market. These are great pistols at this price. :D :D :D

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Couldn't agree more rob. If you were so inclined to wait you could probably order one from the cs in nickel or royal blue hard chrome etc and a trigger for less than a wc would cost. There is also the cy version that has rear Novak tritiums. Ironically those were the first two I saw and thought they all came that way at first. I could have got one of the first 9's and 45's like that for 815 each but once again money stifled that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Anyone have more details order pics of the dual recoil spring? Is it really that noticeable of a reduction in recoil? Retrofit? Reason I ask is after two recent back surgeries I am sure I will be more sensitive to recoil.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.