Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,681 Posts
Shouldn't such an early Unit have the narrower box without the center partition for the recoil spring? Stan3 is the resident expert on these so if he did not comment on that issue, perhaps I am wrong on how early the box style changed. Am I?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have the conversion kit U-126, and my box looks like the empty one from Rayfish. Mine lists the same (8) items inside the lid where the unnumbered one shows (7). The one with the kit is definitely a later box. Mine is numbered to the parts in pencil, the same way box U-812 is. The U-812 box is mostly all there, but may not add much to the value of the auction kit.
In my opinion, the auction winner paid a real "premium" price for that kit. I have not seen many go for over a grand. I bought mine for far less.

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Shouldn't such an early Unit have the narrower box without the center partition for the recoil spring? Stan3 is the resident expert on these so if he did not comment on that issue, perhaps I am wrong on how early the box style changed. Am I?
JudgeColt,

AFAIK,---The 1st style (early) box, 2-3/8W X 8-1/2L X 2H, was used up to about U-350.

Perhaps, members could introduce their boxes, to help narrow it down? (Please, show the inside and outside top-of-the-box.)

Boxes for the 7 prototypes are not known.

The next boxes are 2-3/4W X 8-1/2L X 2H.

Best Regards,

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
I have the conversion kit U-126, and my box looks like the empty one from Rayfish. Mine lists the same (8) items inside the lid where the unnumbered one shows (7). The one with the kit is definitely a later box. Mine is numbered to the parts in pencil, the same way box U-812 is.
webeColts,

Help,---Show us the U-126 box?

Best Regards,

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Here is mine, number U-177. It is 2-3/8" wide. Don't know if this is of any help.
Vettepartz,

Thank you for the pictures!

Yes, it is helpful. It is a good clear example of the (early) narrow box. Excluding the little interior box in the right corner (for the slide stop), the early boxes have 2 interior compartments, and the latter 2-3/4W boxes have 3 compartments. (See posts # 3 and 5.)

Best Regards,

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I contacted the auction company and they can’t help find the owner of U812. So my plan right now is to mate it to an early post-war numbered unit, which I think came with the same box, and probably sell it to raise some Christmas money. Unit U812 is listed on Sam Lisker’s site as a known example, so I thought I’d reach out before it goes further on down the road.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts