Colt Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Colt Conversions Book by McDowell - S&W Cartridge Conversion of .44 Remington Army

An item on another forum about Remington conversions got me checking my Rem conversions and McDowell's book on conversions. Smith & Wesson contracted to convert some 5000 revolvers for $1 each. It replaced the cylinder and did mods for center fire, a loading gate opening, etc. The rammer was left in place to retain the center pin. The cylinder was replaced with one of.46 cal, 5 shots to preserve needed wall thickness. The cylinders were marked with Patented 1855, etc.as shown in McDowell page 53.

My Remington below is as described, 5 shot but it chambers a .44 Colt round perfectly. The gun is in only fair to good condition and has a later added ejector tube and a spring catch to retain the center pin. See pix below.
I would appeciate any comments or information anyone has to offer.

·
Premium Member
4,666 Posts
I like your Remington. However, I only know what McDowell's book (an excellant reference) would have to say....other than the fact that the barrel might have been cut down. But you already knew that....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts