Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i picked up a beautiful blued Cowboy about a year ago. it is blue through out but f.stads BBoGV only mentions a color case hardened frame. mine also has smooth walnut grips...

its in .45 Long Colt of course with a 5-1/2" barrel. serial number TF023xx. can anyone tell me anything about this? is it a "2nd generation" cowboy or maybe an early one?

i know that Colt's didnt make it from what ive been told but i dont know who did. (insert 2nd "can anyone tell me anything about this?")

thanks

david

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,882 Posts
The Colt Cowboy was not a success for Colt, and it was only produced for a few years.

Colt DID make the Cowboy in the Colt plant, but the frame was supposed to be made in Czechoslovakia.
Whether this actually happened or not is uncertain, but all other parts and all assembly was at Colt.

The Cowboy was apparently offered in all blue, after the cyanide "case hardening" failed to stand up to use as expected.

Bottom line was, the Cowboy had too much competition from Ruger and the foreign makers, and the price was too high.

Nice gun, but didn't have anything to set it apart from all the other transfer-bar ignition single actions.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dfaris...

thanks. it sounds as if i have a 2nd generation Cowboy then. maybe i need a new BBoGV...

i gave $300 so i hope thats a good price. i got a hunter brand gunslinger belt and holster with it...

it shoots a little high and right but i carries very well...

david

ps. you get around dont you! youre usually on another page i go to but i dont remember which one. Pistolsmith.com maybe...

david Pistolsmith.com

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,882 Posts
Sorry, possible misunderstanding: There IS no "Second Generation" Cowboy.

The Cowboy was only made a short time, and Colt made some in all blue finish.
This doesn't count as a "generation".

·
Registered
44 Posts
i have a case colored colt cowboy.rubber grips.all in all a nice SSA (clone?)i paid 500 new back in the late 90s when they came out.it feels tiny compared to my ruger vaquero but now i realize the vaquero was too large ,hence Ruger redesighned it in dounsized version .
my local gun store had several blued versions not too long ago(last year).they wanted something like 900 bucks? say what for that kinda money ill pick up a used SSA or just pay the extra to have a new COLT SSA.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts