Colt Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
If they want to revive the Cowboy idea, they should bring out a SAA with a lower quality polish/finish, but without the stupid transfer bar safety. But with current SAA pricing a 'budget model' is non existant.
If they ever did it would be bashed to Hades in this forum.

·
Registered
148 Posts
We see a difference of opinion here, one can make an argument for potential price appreciation both ways. In my mind there is a difference between rarity and desirability. Some items are rare because they did not sell well back in the day and they were discontinued. This is the reason for their rarity today. I believe the Viper is desirable because of this rarity. It was also made in an era when Colt consistently turned out a high quality product.
Colt deliberately produced the Cowboy to a lesser price point. It was reflected in the finishes and raw material selections used in the Cowboy product. Years ago, in a conversation with Kevin Cherry, he outlined the achilles heel of the Cowboy model. My brain does not recall information like it used to, but I seem to remember the trigger mechanism was suspect.
In no way am I disparaging anyone who could not afford a classic SAA, or who chose not too, I just am amazed at the current prices someone might pay.
And with absolutely no knowledge of production numbers, I am guessing that the 4 3/4" model is the lowest production. I seem to recall more 5 1/2" Cowboys than the other barrel lengths.

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Learned something,I thought the Cowboy was only available in 5-1/2” length.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I learned something too. I did not know that Colt produced the Cowboy in all blue and did not know that US Historical offered one for sale in what looks like a satin nickel finish. Saintclair, tell us is that a satin nickel or a hard chrome type of finish? Thanks

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hello all! Just traded for one today. 5 1/2 inch in original box. Colt site seems to date it at 2001. Main reason. Having variety of SAAs , 1st, 2nd & 3rd gen, I didn't have a "Cowboy" , so today I swapped for one. The grips are finely checkered one piece ivory (appearing) with a five point star in the center. Probably something else but very pretty anyhow. Serial # is TF10XXX. Does anyone know what total production figures are? THANKS! NOTE ADDED 10/20/19. Let's see if I can add pics of yesterday's find. Has anyone seen grips like these & have knowledge of source. Photos don't do justice. Had them off to find spacer apparently bonded to sides with epoxy & a considerable amount of file work to accomplish fitting. Someone may feel it's like putting steel belted radials on a wheelbarrow.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,169 Posts
Hello all! Just traded for one today. 5 1/2 inch in original box. Colt site seems to date it at 2001. Main reason. Having variety of SAAs , 1st, 2nd & 3rd gen, I didn't have a "Cowboy" , so today I swapped for one. The grips are finely checkered one piece ivory (appearing) with a five point star in the center. Probably something else but very pretty anyhow. Serial # is TF10XXX. Does anyone know what total production figures are? THANKS! NOTE ADDED 10/20/19. Let's see if I can add pics of yesterday's find. Has anyone seen grips like these & have knowledge of source. Photos don't do justice. Had them off to find spacer apparently bonded to sides with epoxy & a considerable amount of file work to accomplish fitting. Someone may feel it's like putting steel belted radials on a wheelbarrow.

As Ben posted, Forum Member RayB has a post that goes into great detail about the production numbers of the Colt Cowboy!!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts