Registered
12,401 Posts
Here's an article explaining mil-spec...it's older but relevant. Mil-spec

Reactions: blueiron

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the article i was just curious with the cr6920 because everyone seems to complain about it supposedly having contracted parts but no one ever complains about reliability and quality of the gun

·
Registered
12,401 Posts
Colt contracts out many parts and all have to meet the specs contracted for.

·
Registered
12,401 Posts
It makes no sense for them to have non-interchangeable parts for military and civilian sales except where absolutely necessary .

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I am not even going to go there!! To the OP it has been explained in finite detail here before. I am too lazy go and find the post I made on this subject. Colt CR6920 | Page 2 | Colt Forum

The 6920 is a very high quality weapon. I only use Colt' .223 or 6.5 Creedmoor or the 308. The weapon that travels with me back and forth and on the ranch is the 6920 (M4).

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
You have the Cr6920 or LE6920?
It makes no difference. Parts are the same. Number of commercial guns Colt sells is tiny compared to FMS and USG sales. There is a lot of material for you to research on this site.

My 6920 rifle came from Colt and it had all of the M4 packaging with it. Do not think it is a CR which makes no difference part wise internally.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Very interesting article. And I thought that some of the non military contract AR's were Mil-Spec. It is good to see that some of the companies seem to try and do some of the most important test's to their non Mil-Spec rifles anyway. There is another forum out their in computer land were folks love to argue about this stuff. I wish they would all read that article. Thanks for posting it Snidely.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Whats all the complaints on the supposedly out sourced parts on the CR6920 all i care about is if the gun is held to the same standard as before

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I took a look at your article it makes sense now so they all go through the same quality control inspections and are all held to same standard to meet colts quality

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I took a look at your article it makes sense now so they all go through the same quality control inspections and are all held to same standard to meet colts quality
Parts come in the same boxes prepared to the same specifications some are just taken on the commercial side. Difference is on the commercial, the documentation that is required to follow everything being delivered against a Prime Contract Material Inspection and Receiving Report (MIRR) or as some remember a DD250 is not.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Things have changed in the AR business. When the 6920 was introduced in the late 90's there was an assault weapons ban in place and very few manufacturers. This has changed substantially. There are now very large manufacturers which support both the Government and the Civilian population. Colt has moved to leverage some of these resources with their rifles. In the late 90's Colt owned the TDP. This changed in 2009 when the Government purchased these rights. This allowed the Government to source parts from other vendors. Colt has taken advantage of the shared resources to source parts which are expensive to build in house. The Union has fought this but apparently has only been partly successful. Rasco has a cage code. AO Precision has a cage code. The parts have changed over the years. Only Colt knows how each part is made. Company's either adapt or die. Money always matters. If you want a gun with the old markings and manufactured by Colt there are usually several on Gunbroker. If the markings are less important and if you don't mind that some parts may not be manufactured by Colt then a new 6920 is for you. If you would have purchased a new 6920 in the summer of 2008 the rifle would not have been manufactured to the TDP. The hammer/trigger pins were larger than standard along with other changes.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Back in the day, my M-16A1 was mil spec, but it was a GM Hydra-matic and frankly junk.

I wouldn't have an issue carrying a recent Colt rifle. Please don't get wrapped up in Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 3, etc. Some people just have to have the most expensive thing out there and infer that because some "team" uses it, they are, by inference in the same league.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Things have changed in the AR business. When the 6920 was introduced in the late 90's there was an assault weapons ban in place and very few manufacturers. This has changed substantially. There are now very large manufacturers which support both the Government and the Civilian population. Colt has moved to leverage some of these resources with their rifles. In the late 90's Colt owned the TDP. This changed in 2009 when the Government purchased these rights. This allowed the Government to source parts from other vendors. Colt has taken advantage of the shared resources to source parts which are expensive to build in house. The Union has fought this but apparently has only been partly successful. Rasco has a cage code. AO Precision has a cage code. The parts have changed over the years. Only Colt knows how each part is made. Company's either adapt or die. Money always matters. If you want a gun with the old markings and manufactured by Colt there are usually several on Gunbroker. If the markings are less important and if you don't mind that some parts may not be manufactured by Colt then a new 6920 is for you. If you would have purchased a new 6920 in the summer of 2008 the rifle would not have been manufactured to the TDP. The hammer/trigger pins were larger than standard along with other changes.
I have no idea where to begin to take this one apart.... Wrong on so many levels.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts