Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all just joined the forum have been lurking in the dark shadows for awhile seems like a pretty good site with lots of valuable information i would like to ask a few questions about a colt custom cobra serial # is ccc108 could anyone possably tell when it was made or any other info about the gun how strong it is, about how much its worth and approxamitly how many were made it is a 4" barreled model i tried doing a few web searches and couldn't find very much info at all and could only find a set of a 4" and 6" for sale on gunsamerica and they were asking $2000 for the pair any info would greatly be appricated thanks in advance

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,899 Posts
There were several different custom pistols based on Colt Trooper Mark V and King Cobra revolvers.

Most of these were produced for Lew Horton Distributing company.
Horton has offered limited production pistols for some years. Lately they're mostly S&W guns, but the earlier models were mostly Colt's.

The Boa is a much sought after model, based on Colt's Trooper Mark "V" revolver, which is the direct predecessor of the King Cobra.

The Boa was basically a Trooper Mark V, with a Python-grade Royal blue finish and a Python barrel.
These were available in 4" and 6" models. There were apparently 600 guns produced in 1985.
It's believed that Colt patterned the later King Cobra after the Boa.

Again, the Boa was produced exclusively for Lew Horton, and bring high prices from collectors, due to the low production.

In 1969 Colt introduced the first in a series of new type revolvers to replace the older Colt's which were simply too expensive to continue to produce.

These revolvers all used very similar transfer bar actions.
The series included:
The Trooper Mark III series.
The Trooper Mark V.
The King Cobra.

These revolvers are some of the strongest and most durable revolvers ever made.

Master gunsmith Jerry Kuhnhausen believed these later Colt revolvers were the strongest mid-frame revolvers ever built.
He attributed the strength and durability to Colt superior forged frames, and the high quality heat treating of the frames and cylinders.

Other than buying a very expensive collectible Boa, the nearest option is to buy a King Cobra, which was available in stainless and in blued steel.

·
Registered
794 Posts
The Colt Custom Cobra was a Lew Horton offering. They were made around 1986 & as such should have been shipped in the maroon (150 anniversary) box. I believe the label makes no reference to Lew Horton.

I saw one at a gun show last year with an asking price of $750. After some discussion, he said he would go lower if I was interested.

Unfortunately by the time I found it, I had spent way too much money & had only enough left for lunch & gas.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the response guys the guy at my local gun store had one come in on consignment and i just happened to be there when he came in so i was trying to figure out what is was and how much its worth the gun is very clean bright stainless with a blued trigger hammer and clylinder lacth the wooden grip have 2 small chips in the finnish but no box or manual was curious if this was a strong enough gun to stand up to some heavier loads thanks again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts