Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recenty purchased a Colt Diamondback 38 special. It has a 2 1/2" barrel on it has nickel finish. The hammer, trigger, ejector rod, and grip screw have all been gold plated. The grips are fake ivory with Colt medallions. The gentelman I purchased it from claimed it came out of the Colt custom shop. Unfortunately there was no box. My question is that right below the serial number is a C stamped and below that in smaller letters is a cb. I was wondering if the C was for Colt and the cb was whose initials did it. Am I thinking correctly?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. That would make sense on the two smaller letters? Any ideas on the bigger C?

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Various single letters or numbers in the vicinity of the serial on the frame are usually inspection stamps. They also appear on the grip frame under the stocks. The Custom Shop did/does do plating and if it was originally ordered that way, an archive letter might say. :cool:

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,089 Posts
Virtually all Colt DA revolvers made since the early 1900's have a factory inspectors letter stamped under the serial number, and that's what the "C" is.
Some models, and the Diamondback seems to often be one, sometimes have other letter stamps under the serial number and no one really knows what they were other than that the factory stamped them.

While it's possible this Diamondback was a custom order from Colt, Colt wasn't known for much in the way of making up dual finish guns, often known as "pintos".
It's possible the small "CB" is the mark of a company who did an aftermarket plating job.

One possible method of indenting if this was done aftermarket is to closely inspect the other stamps on the frame, specifically the Colt pony on the side plate and the two marks on the left side of the trigger guard webs.
The front web will have a tiny "VP" in a triangle, which is Colt's Verified Proof stamp. There will be another single inspectors stamp on the rear web of the trigger guard.
If any of these stamps are missing or very faint, it's likely the gun was refinished outside the Colt factory.

Bottom line: the only way you'll ever know for sure is to buy a Colt Factory Archive letter.
This will state if the gun had any custom work when it was made.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts