Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased an "as new" Colt DS a couple of months ago. It was in beautiful condition, but upon shooting it I found it to consistantly shoot high/left POA. I was very dissatisfied that my high quality Detective Special was less accurate than my old Cobra's, 2 S/W J-Frames AND my 35 yr. old Charter Arms Undercover.

I spoke to Colt Customer Service and they said to send it to them and they would evaluate the DS and let me know what needed doing, and how much it would cost.

A week or so later I got a very nice note from Colt Customer Service saying upon evaluation it was decided that the accuracy could be corrected, and the D/A trigger pull could be lightened up a bit. COST? Nothing.. Repairs to be free of charge. Estimated time allowed for repairs, approximately 30 days.

FexEX brought my DS back today. Colt even paid for the return shipping.

I immediately took the DS back to my range and shot it at precisely the same distance and type target as before. (I had kept the old one for comparison.) It is dead on POA. It shoots a tiny bit high, but that's not a Colt problem, it's just that I'm not shooting at a far enough distance. I can put the black on top of my sights now and do a very good job of keeping them all in the black wheras before it was 2" left and similiarly high. The D/A pull is much nicer too.

I'm proud to say that thanks to Colt's great customer service my sweet DS is now capable of much more accuracy than my tired old eyes are capable of taking advantage of.

I am very happy with the Colt Customer Service, and the skilled gentlemen (or ladies) who corrected my problems for me.

A big "thanks" to everyone at Colt for standing by your firearms with first class Customer Service.

The motto "Quality Makes A Colt" should also read: "And Colt Stands by it's firearms with quality customer service"..

Jesse Pomeroy

·
Registered
535 Posts
Now THAT'S nice to hear, Laserlips! Maybe now I'll get my two-in-need-of-service guns off to Colt. From what you said, I take it your DS wasn't even under warranty of any kind, yes?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rcwambold:
Now THAT'S nice to hear, Laserlips! Maybe now I'll get my two-in-need-of-service guns off to Colt. From what you said, I take it your DS wasn't even under warranty of any kind, yes?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, not under any warranty to my knowledge.

My DS was in "unfired" condition. I think when the quality repair folks at Colt realized the barrel was aligned slightly off center, from the factory, the repair was made as a customer courtesy. The additional adjustment to the DA trigger pull was IMO just done as a courtesy for my trouble, and the expense of having to send the DA back to Hartford.

There's simply no way Colt could repair free, and ship back free, any Colt firearms a person might have. If they tried they would be bankrupt with 6 months. I think if your Colt has a problem that can be traced to a problem at time of manufacture you can expect repairs free of charge. BUT, if your Colt has been misused, or simply "shot out" you'll obviously have to pay for whatever repairs it needs.

I have complete faith in Colt that if you send a firearm back you can expect a professional evaluation BEFORE any work, free or otherwise is taken. Then it's up to you to decide what, if any, action to take. I do believe the Colt repair shop is NOT in the money making business, but more in the Colt CUSTOMER KEEPING business.

I know they've certainly done their job in that respect with this Colt Customer.

The little DS, Cobra's, Agents, ect. are not made anymore. They departed the factory with the reputation of being the finest snubby ever made. My nickle DS is going to be handed down to my Son, and I hope he will appreciate it as much as I do. My DS represents the American firearm industry at it's absolute best, IMO.

If my older Cobra's ever need repair I will certainly send them back to Hartford, and expect quality repairs, at a fair price, and expect to have to pay for them.

This whole transaction with my DS and Colt has been done in a professional manner that I seldom encounter in today's business world.

Thanks again to Colt for a fine repair job, and for backing their products with such quality Customer Service.

Best Wishes.

Jesse Pomeroy

[This message has been edited by Laserlips (edited 06-08-2005).]

[This message has been edited by Laserlips (edited 06-08-2005).]

·
Registered
35 Posts
I sent a Trooper mark V and a Python, both nickel, for tuneup and evaluation of finish. The Trooper they checked out, replaced parts as needed, test fired and color buffed no charge, not even shipping. The Python needed re-nickeling after tuneup and parts replacement as needed, that will cost $200 plus shipping as it is not done in-house (the refinish). They sent letters for each gun detailing their suggestions for work needed and approval before anything was done. They are a class act.

[This message has been edited by Pythonguy (edited 06-08-2005).]

[This message has been edited by Pythonguy (edited 06-08-2005).]

·
Registered
153 Posts
Colt also did well by me when I sent a Python in for problems. I do not hesitate to send a gun back anymore their service was so good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts