Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is done to a colt D frame Detective special snub to "fine tune it" for accuracy? Can anyone give me the name of a quality shop that might due the work if it is possible?
Having just got into revolvers (I am a big 1911 guy)I am a bit anal when I go to the range as I want an acurate gun (as much as can be possible) The sight window on these guns is less than desirable also, but I love the little guys....anyway I've collected about 10 D framed Colts and a few j frames from Ths S&W side.The Two Pythons that I have a scarey accurate and hope to be able to do something with the Det Spl

Thanks for any thoughts,
Jim

·
Registered
11 Posts
Try Cylinder and Slide. They are one of the few big shops around that actively seeks old Colt business, I believe. They did a D frame for me in the late 90's; I didn't have any "pre-C&S" experience with it but the action seems great now.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
The action is smoothed and the spring adjusted so the trigger pull feels better, but if the revolver is mechanically sound nothing is done to it.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,900 Posts
As actual accuracy work, what's done is to insure everything is in optimal condition.

First we insure there's no problems like sprung frames, bent cranes, or bad chamber or bore.

We make sure timing is perfect, barrel-cylinder gap is close to minimum, head space is right, firing pin protrusion is correct, spring weight is right, etc.

Next, alignment is checked with a Match range rod to insure the alignment is as close to perfect as possible, on all 6 chambers.

Unlike an auto, there's no major work like tightening the fit of barrel to bushing, bushing to slide, barrel to slide, and slide to frame.

Revolver accuracy is mostly a matter of making sure everything is as close to factory optimum as possible.

Most pistolsmith's don't invest a bunch of time on high-end accuracy adjustments on snubby revolvers or service-grade revolvers, since they're really not intended for target level shooting.

Bottom line is, if the gun is in pretty much factory spec condition, it should shoot well.

One area where snubby revolvers were often given a Match spec set up, was in the snubby matches the police used to shoot.

Rules were, the gun had to be a box-stock configuration revolver with a barrel (I think) of no longer than 3 3/4".

The revolvers were not allowed to be customized with Match grade barrels or trigger work, so they worked on getting everything in as close as perfect condition as possible.

In the case of your Detective Special, if it's in factory-spec condition, it should shoot better than most people are capable of.

I suggest cleaning the bore and chambers thoroughly, then shooting it off the sand bags for accuracy.
You can also do this to experiment with different ammo to find something your specific gun shoots well.

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
Can barrel-cylinder gap be checked adequately with a feeler gauge? What are typical specs for "modern" D frames? If it's a bit wide, what if any is the cure. Oops, I probably exceeded my questions per post limit /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts