Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe Bob Best or someone will know if a military Colt DA .38 left wheeler model ever had a cylinder release latch without the assbly or serial number on it. I looked at it too quickly today to take good mental notes but it had a lanyard ring (could have been added during refurb), inspectors initials on left side (I think Renaldo A. Carr), no acceptance date on left, military number on butt, forgot to look at model number. Stocks were longer front to rear than my 1903 and cartouches were either absent or hard to see. It wasn't in too bad condition, tight action and they were asking $265 but would dicker. I just was doubtful about the cylinder release.

·
Registered
671 Posts
My heavily buggered M-1892 has a cylinder release catch without an assembly number, but as the gun has been so much messed with, I suspect that this part is a a later replacement. I will look closer over the weekend and will revert.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi Reddogge,

I have seen a number of both Navy and Army contract models that have no assembly number on the cylinder latch. In all cases, the guns have gone through at least one rework process by either the Army or the Navy... All evidence I have located indicates that Colt placed the assembly number on the cylinder latch throught the end of production at serial number 293xxx in 1908... Hope that helps. Bob Best

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bob,
I figured as much thanks to your book. I forgot to mention it had a small 6 pointed star on the rear of the trigger guard. Rebuild mark perhaps? Is it still a decent buy?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi Reddogge,
The six pointed star on the right rear trigger guard is pretty much accepted as a Colt Factory rework marking. I personally would not invest that amount of money in that gun. I've bought two or three like that for parts for $75 - $100... Just my opinion. Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts