Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find out about a revolver that I recently acquired. It is nickel plated and somebody cut the barrel off. I'm assuming at this point that it is a Model 1892. I've been told that it is a new army navy double action made in 1901. There are no military markings anywhere on the weapon. The only markings that I can find are as follows:
‘Colt. D.A. 41’ on left side of barrel.
‘584’ on cylinder latch.
‘137 over 781’ on butt of handle.
‘F. A MFG CO HARTFORD CT USA’ (I assume that ‘Colt P T’ was cut off) and ‘AUG 5 1884 NOV 6 88’ on top of barrel.

Can anyone verify the model and date of manufacture? I'd also like to replace the barrel. Who might have a nickel plated
barrel? I have photos if anyone is interested. My email address is [email protected]. Thanks for any help that you can provide. Semper Fi!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
welcome to the forum cmullis. The serial # if the gun is 137781,which makes the gun(yes it is a New Army or New Navy made in 1900,not 1901.(the only difference between the 2 models was the decoration on the black hard rubber stocks,or grips. The 586 is an assembly number,used to keep the various parts together during the assembly. How much is the barrel cut off?? The .41 cal. especially in nickle is gonna be hard to find. Barrels were made in 3"(rare) 4" and 6",unless special ordered in odd length. While .41 Colts are not as rare as the 32/20,most were in .38 Colt,so you might want to look for a barrel and cylinder assembly in .38. By the way the only grip difference was New Navy had "COLT" spelled out and New Army a prancing horse and smaller letters "colt". Hope this helps a little,and if you get lucky,you might the parts on eBay. Also,check the Gun Parts Company,as they have(or did)SOME of the parts to fit your gun. Just to a search for Gun Parts Company on the net;they are in New York state. Bud

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cmullis:
I'm trying to find out about a revolver that I recently acquired. My email address is [email protected]. Thanks for any help that you can provide. Semper Fi!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi...
If you asked this question on the pistolsmith forum, I posted a reply to you there several days ago. The serial number looked familiar... Try Ed Cox at coltparts.com for the barrel. He is in Fernley Nevada. Your gun was made about 1900. As Lonewolf said, the basic difference between a New Army Model and a New Navy Model is the type of grips it wears... The assembly number should be on the inside of the grips and should match the number on the frame, inside the crane cutout. This will tell you if the grips are original to the gun. Hope that helps... Bob Best

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cmullis:

Can anyone verify the model and date of manufacture? My email address is [email protected]. Thanks for any help that you can provide. Semper Fi!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi, again...

I just checked my 10/8 post to you on the pistolsmith forum. Looks like I erred on the date of manufacture in that post. It's NOT 1901, it should be 1900. I checked my computer listings of Colt DA revolvers... I have a 135xxx range gun shipped during July 1900. I must have must have "swapped numbers" when I looked it up before... Sorry! Bob Best

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by COLTDAGUY:
Hi, again...

I just checked my 10/8 post to you on the pistolsmith forum. Looks like I erred on the date of manufacture in that post. It's NOT 1901, it should be 1900. I checked my computer listings of Colt DA revolvers... I have a 135xxx range gun shipped during July 1900. I must have must have "swapped numbers" when I looked it up before... Sorry! Bob Best
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks lonewold and COLTDAGUY for the info. The grips were already replaced. At least you've provided the model and year of manufacture, which is good news. Now to locate a barrel. If anyone is interested in seeing a photo of this pistol, just let me know and I'll send it out. Thanks again. Semper Fi,
Craig

1 - 5 of 5 Posts