Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a sort of convoluted question, so bear with me! What pre-war Colt D.A. revolver frames correspond with specific models (in general) such as New Service, Officer's Models, Dick Specials? Easy enough? Now which of those frame sizes correspond to the more recent frame sizes such as MkIII and so forth? Do any of the frame sizes interchange? The reason I'm asking is I have some pre-war Colts that I would like to put custom stocks on but most people don't know what the early Colt models were. For example, would stocks for a Python fit any pre-war models? Hope this isn't too confusing!
10ACN

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Without making this a "TWO PAGE" post; 1) Nothing in the post war era fits a New Service. This grand old gun had a much larger frame & the later model New Services in .357 & .38& Shooting Masters on that frame, had a rounded butt.(there is a way to "adapt" Python & other E and I frame target grips to fit the N.S. 2)the pre-69 E & I frame grips will fit the Army Specials etc.& other .41 Frame guns. In fact,the 1889 -1905 "left wheelers" can use the later model E and I frame grips. 3)The smaller D frames,like the "Dick Special",had at least 4 different grip frame sizes before World War 2 and are a real source of confusion. I have found with ANY Colt,it is best to try the stocks on YOUR gun before you buy them. Hope this helps a little. Your right,it is convoluted! Bud

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,895 Posts
Additionally:

NO "old model" Colt grip will fit the Mark III, King Cobra, or Anaconda pistols.

With the Detective Special, in general
the pre-war to late 1950's or so, Colt small frame revolvers had a long, full sized grip frame.
Post 1960 or so, Colt changed all small frame revolvers to a "stubby" shortened grip frame.

So basically, if you have a Colt medium frame revolver like a Python, Officer's Model, old model Trooper, Official Police, or other such gun, the grips will interchange no matter when made. (With the provision that frames did vary slightly, and might not be a PERFECT fit).

If you have a pre-1960's small frame revolver, the square butt revolvers like the Police Positive, and Police Positive Special
grips interchange.

Other than the VERY early 1927-28 Detective Special, the Detective Special and Cobra grips interchange up to about 1960.

After 1960, the Detective Special, Cobra, Police Positive Special, Diamondback, and Agent stubby frame grips interchange.

As above, nothing fits the large frame New Service except another New Service grip.

So, to answer your basic question:
If you have a long grip frame small Colt, only earlier style long frame type grips will fit.

If you have a medium frame gun, all grips of any era will work.

Nothing interchanges with the Mark III or later Colts.

Nothing interchanges with the New Service.

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 04-11-2004).]

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks much for the answers! If things come together,hopefully, I'll be able to post some pics in the near future.
10ACN

1 - 4 of 4 Posts