Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am changing the dirction of my gun collecting to colt DA revolvers and mil surplus snipers, I have collected mil surplus for quite a few years and am familiar with that market, but and new to colts. How do you colt collectors see the current market for DA revolvers? good deals out there because everyone wants a auto, or are current prices to high? how about future prices, where do you see them going?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi Kennedy--

Colt DA's are very collectable. Prices are high and have nowhere to go but up. In my opinion, the best deals are in the small frame guns--a very interesting collection of, say, pre-war Police Positives could still be assembled at reasonable cost. All the big New Service revolvers are up, up, up. Another area you might explore if you're on a budget is the fixed-sight medium frames. My own favorites are the adjustable sight medium frame OM's. This is another good area, but getting expensive.

Prices on all Colt revolvers, especially the older ones, keep rising as there is more appreciation for how superior they are to recent production guns.

Best,
Bill A

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,887 Posts
The most collectible firearms in the world, based on the interest and prices brought at auction, are Colt's.

Prices on all Colt's are climbing, and I've given up trying to guess which models will appreciate fastest.

To complicate matters, there's the categories of JUST the double actions Colt's:
The early double auction "cowboy types.
The early swing-out cylinder guns.
The 1900 to 1940 guns.
The early post-war guns.
The mid 50's guns.
The Python.
The Detective Special.
The Diamondback.
etc..etc...etc.

There are two basic ways to go about it.
1. Pick a category and try to collect one of each version. This can get REAL expensive when trying to find the rarer models.

2. Just buy whatever Colt strikes your fancy, that happens to turn up, that you can afford. (Eating candy bar lunches is acceptable so you can afford one).
This is what most of the people here seem to do.

Whatever Colt you buy, go for condition first. The better condition, the more valuable.

Finding a gun with the original box and papers increases value.

One thing is certain: As long as you don't spend WAY to much on a Colt, you will always get your money back, and if you hold it for a few years, the value will only go up.

I still remember people asking me if $150.00 was just too over the top for a like new Python.

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 01-13-2004).]

·
Registered
99 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by diamonback68:

Ah, for the good old days of $150 Pythons and for that matter $150 Diamondbacks. Alas!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And I suspect it won't be too long before we are looking back at the good old days of $150 empty boxes for Pythons and Diamondbacks!

·
Registered
794 Posts
The advice from BillA, dfaris & DB68 is good & sound. You would do well to follow it.

Another way to collect is based on Frame. Buy an example of each of the J-frames or D-frames, I-frames etc. But understand it can get out of hand real easy. Just look at a few of the Diamondback pictures DB68 has posted!

It doesn't take much for the collection to snowball.

Just one real life example: I know a guy
(name & ID omitted to protect the guilty) who loved the Trooper MKIII. He bought his 1st one in 357 Mag with 6" barrel for hunting & target shooting. Lucky guy got the E-nickel.
But then he figured he liked the blued 6" & found one of those for his collection. Then he said why not "complete" the collection by buying the 357 in polished nickel 6". And life was good. He had one of every finish in 6" in 357. He was done right?

Wrong.
What about the 4" in 357? So the quest was on. Another 3 guns. Now surely he was done. Not even close! He still needed 4" in 22 & 22 Mag and all with different finishes. Oh wait, what about the 22 calibers in the 6". Gotta have them too. Oh no, they made those darn MKIII's in 8" too!

Now imagine, that is just one model of Colt. You like the D-frames? Well start all over again & apply the same rules above to each & every model. There is no end in site. Except to your pocket book & storage space.

Believe me it really does happen this way. Just ask DB68!

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
WS23 just nailed it down. That's what happens. I simply, naively started out with the aforementioned 2 1/2" 38SPL in blue because way back in the reccesses of my addled mind I remembered some guy back in Baltimore, at a gun show, saying "I ought to start a Diamondback collection" and the thought stuck with me, couldn't shake it.
SOOOOO, you start and then you find out there are twelve (or is it eleven?) different ones and hey what heck, you gotta have all, right? Then you find yourselve spending weekends, running around spending $5 to $7 to go to gunshows, checking out gunshops, in search of the next one (don't know what it will be, but it's the "next one") and then your only focus is DIAMONDBACKS and you will never be happy until you get them all.
But I'm partially cured now. That happens when you stop finding the "next one" that you need, or you've already got one of those or the price is out of reach and your collection comes to a screeching halt.
Guess what happens next? You start hanging out with guys over at the Smith&Wesson forum and before you know it, you "need" a Model 19, and then a 66 and then a 63 and then a 625 and then a 10 and then the real insanity sets in and you start thinking "Gee, my Diamondbacks have all appreciated in value, I could sell them at a profit, and think of all the Smiths I could buy with that kind of money.
So you see, once you go over to the other side, there is no turning back, you're over here with us for life. Sad, but true.
Thank God I haven't or won't sell my Diamondbacks just yet, but the thought was there.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR
SIDEARM HANDY!

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 01-13-2004).]

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
For the sake of your sanity never ever make the same mistake I made in wanting to collect the serpents. All the various calibers, finishes, and barrel lengths of the Anaconda, Python, Diamondback, Viper, Boa, Cobra, King Cobra, and Combat Cobra will run you into the poor house.
Prices will not drop is about one thing you can bet the farm on. Financing the collection might require you to sell that farm.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Oh how true, how true Dick. I think I hate those guys over at the S&W forum. They got me on this 3" N-frame kick now. There as many of them as there are the Colt snakes. Then I had to have a M14 for some reason. It looked lonely so I got a M17 to keep it company. They raved about the M696 and I took the bait on that one too. Now I got my eye on a sweet little M15.
I have also somehow started a Ruger .41mag Bisley roundup. I have got 2 of them and got a real good idea where the 3rd may be, but I'm afraid to ask because I know what will happen. I'm trying real hard not to collect all the limited Bisleys, but by having 2 of them already it's hard to stop now.
Where will all of this end?

[This message has been edited by Majic (edited 01-13-2004).]

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Majic:
but by having 2 of them already it's hard to stop now. Betcha can't eat just one potato chip!
Where will all of this end? Sad, so sad, he went mad the day before they found the cure for his mania.

[This message has been edited by Majic (edited 01-13-2004).][/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR
SIDEARM HANDY!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks to all that replied, seems collecting colts is no differant than mil surplus rifles(I am trying for one from every country)but I just can`t get into mil surplus handguns. So far i own a like new python, 4 in royal blue from 1978, I would post a pic if I knew how. now I want a snub nose colt, then a .22 diamondback then a etc etc etc, oh nooooo now I have caught the bug.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Ah, for the good old days of $150 Pythons and for that matter $150 Diamondbacks. Alas!

The response you get from most shops is "they don't make them anymore (Colts)" except for maybe Pythons and Anacondas, so they know they can hold their prices and usually get them.
The only thing I can tell you is the longer you wait, the higher they go.
Seven years ago, I bought my first 2 1/2" 38SPL blue Diamondback for $325 and now everyone wants $800 for them. Double alas!

P.S. kennedy, welcome to the forum and the mania.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR
SIDEARM HANDY!

·
Registered
535 Posts
FWW, one of my other interests is Lionel trains. I can't, but I do know of quite a few guys that buy three of whatever strikes their fancy with the new stuff; one to use, one to store and one to trade. Prices aren't all that much different than buying guns! Something really nice that everybody wants is always $1,000+. That'd be me, outside in the snow, with my nose pressed up against the glass, looking in the restaraunt/toy store/gun shop. Whatever ...

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Some of the "modern" Colts, made in limited numbers,just dont seem to be climbing in price like equivalent S&Ws. I have a mint 1943 Heavy Barrel Official Police,that is not that much higher in value than a standard one. Couriers & Marshalls,in view of the limited numbers,should be higher than they are. Even rare barrel lengths,such as 4 inch .22 Official Police & the 2 inch Official Polices seem to be under the "non catalogued S&Ws.

------------------

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So why are the prices not higher? are rare mint colts a good buy right now? especially if you buy from someone who does not know the current market? at the last gun show I talked to a guy with a good python and an very good diamondback walking around with them for sale at $600 each, with no takers, he said no one wanted to offer over $450 for them.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Kennedy,do you mean you do not have Military revolvers in your collection yet?I find that hard to believe.well if you ever decide to collect them,drop me a line ,i have a couple of colts that you can begin with.A 1901 and 1903 Armys.that is a fair start.modoc

------------------
Keep your powder dry,but not hot.
Guns are for Gunners

1 - 15 of 15 Posts