Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
According to a press release on sec.gov, Colt Defense LLC has acquired New Colt Holding Corp., which owns Colt's Manufacturing Company LLC. Here's the 8K. This seemed to be a possibility when Colt bought out Blackstone's (an investment group) shares in Colt Defense back in March.
Back in 2003, Colt split itself in two in an effort to shield their substantial defense assets from civil liability. Such lawsuits haven't had much of an effect on any company in the industry and the split probably had a significant (negative) effect on Colt's efforts to develop new products. Meanwhile, the rest of the industry went full speed ahead with all kinds of new product development. Companies such as Smith & Wesson and Ruger sold zillions of AR-15s while Colt commercial rifle sales flatlined. Defense sales are down and will be down for the foreseeable future.
Therefore, it makes sense for Colt to consolidate and invest some money in bringing new consumer products to market and perhaps improving their ability to produce and market old ones. There appears to be no intent to move the company out of Connecticut, but their factory is a bit out of date compared to other companies in the industry, and they'll need to make big strides to catch up to where they could have been a few years ago.
What does this mean for consumers?
It should mean a lot more Colt rifles on the civil market. It should also mean that Colt handguns (pistols and revolvers) will have more money and time devoted to them from a design and manufacturing standpoint.

I copied this entire artilce from another news site...

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Hopefully they have seen the light. I have been saying for years the military gravy train was going to slow down,and Colt should be looking to get back into the civilian market. With the civilian market also slowing in AR sales due to current and pending laws, CCW and consumer handguns should be the next plan. Would make sense to expand the 380 lineup, get a DS2 /Magnum Carry back into production as well as a mid and large frame da revolver ,the SA 22 s and the Pocket 9, to start. It was the past ,and should probably be the future

·
Registered
Colt 1911 Gold Cups The best ever made
725 Posts
According to a press release, Colt Defense LLC has acquired New Colt Holding Corp., which owns Colt's Manufacturing Company LLC.
Thanks. That is interesting (I am a retired stock trader).

It looks to me that Colt may be organizing for an IPO? Colt may join Ruger and S&W as a traded equity?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Thanks. That is interesting (I am a retired stock trader).

It looks to me that Colt may be organizing for an IPO? Colt may join Ruger and S&W as a traded equity?
That can backfire though, just look at what cerberus has done to Remington and their fit and finish quality :(

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Colt needs a cash infusion, Ruger and S&W seem to be booming ,might work out for Colt. Nowhere to go except up at this point Who dares ,wins

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Some conclusions are not quite on.

Colt's Manufacturing AR "flatlining", if any, was due to that division's refusal to provide "civilian" buyers with the features that were standard on the Defense side guns.
Colt Defense always sold their ARs, people were able to obtain them via LE distributors that were passing them on to anybody who'd pay for them.

Colt Defense made all the ARs anyway, regardless of markings or features. Colt's Manufacturing bought "their" ARs from Colt Defense & sold through normal distributor channels.

In 2012 Colt's Manufacturing started relaxing the restrictions on "government" features, and also changing the markings on the guns.

Colt isn't necessarily that far behind or antiquated, they spent literally millions of dollars on upgrading equipment in both sides over the past ten years. Much more CNC used now.

This merger shouldn't affect any possible plans to move, since all manufacturing directly by Colt is done in the same building, anyway.

Denis

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Geeze, don't get 'em started on that one again.
Denis

Just in case anybody gets the urge to anyway, I was going back & forth with two contacts at Colt earlier this week on the merger & new revolvers.
No new revolvers yet, or mentioned in conjunction with the merger.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts