Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Colt Defender or Colt Officer\'s Model ???

I really want a Colt 1911.
I have an opportunity to buy a used Colt Series 80 Officer's Model for $499.00 or a used Colt Defender for $595.00.
Both are .45acp, both are stainless and alloy, both are compact versions and both are very clean. They are in a local gun shop and carry the shop's 60 day warantee.
Question: which one is the best buy? Which one would make the best CCW?
Thanks, John

·
Registered
68 Posts
Re: Colt Defender or Colt Officer\'s Model ???

Both are priced in the ball park, maybe a little high (negotiating room?). The problem is that you may find that the shorter slide groups of these these models don't deliver the same reliability as "Old Slabsides." (Indeed, is that why they were traded???) In general, the shorter the slide group, the greater the possiblity it will need "tweaking" to get it to operate 100%. In addition, if you intend to shoot it a lot, the Officers ACP barrel bushing design is susceptible to failure, though there are after-market remedies available. (Are you sure the Officers is stainless/alloy? Most of the Series 80 were either all stainless OR a matte blued alloy-framed.) Either one is easy to conceal but, then again, I have no problems concealing the Commanders or GMs.

My solution? I was lucky enough to find a CCO: short Officers-length butt with SS Commander-length slide group. Sweet!

Steve

·
Registered
63 Posts

If you want a 1911 0r 1911A1, look at the Argentines. They are cheaper and well made, or should I say better made. Look for one that has not been reblued or reparkerized, they are out there. I packed a 1911A1 during Viet Nam and for twenty more years after that. Completely reliable. Retired Riverine!!!

·
Registered
95 Posts

I will echo the reliability issues, the best compromise for carry is the Commander length barrel and slide combined with the Officers ACP receiver. These tend to be very reliable and concealable, since it is the length of the grip that usually spoils concealment. I think Colt markets this version as the CCO?

·
Registered
25 Posts

colt arealways priced in the ball park but on the high end.so whats new,dealers aint workin just to have something to do.

·
Registered
34 Posts

We have several Officer's model .45s and and had a defender... the Defender was nick named "the big bopper" because the Defender (not just our example) had a habit of smacking the shooter's forehead with an empty case every two or three rounds... from time to time this resulted in a small cut to the forehead...sometimes several in a shooting session.

A good bit of "smith" attention helped the problem and reduced the hits to about one in five...but the difficulty never went away fully. The Defender is history, traded for a very nice older Officer's model.

My advice is go for the OM. The size difference is deminimus... the OM is better in every measure.

FWIW

Chuck

P.S. The Argentines are excellent guns.

·
Registered
41 Posts

I have had my Robar customized Lightweight Officers for 10 years and still love it. Started out as a standard blued enhanced lightweight. There is so much that you can do to suit your level of customization. This one has a Wilson barrel, Wilson reverse recoil plug w/full length rod, dehorning, stippled fronstrap,Wilson beavertail, PT nitesights and NP3 finish on all parts and extrior.

·
Registered
794 Posts

The prior opinions are sound & should help you to make an informed decision.

But let me take a different approach to the Officers Model Vs the Defender: aesthetics. All things being equal, the looks of the Defender do not appeal to me. An early Officers is more traditional in design. The Defender is a modern gun and looks that way. If you like that look then maybe that will be your tie breaker.

The earlier (mid 80's) Officers still look like what you expect from a scaled down Gov't Model. None of the fancy beavertails, or angled serration's, lightening holes in the trigger, God-awful rubber finger grooved grips, or Bomar style sighting systems. No, the Officers Model is a traditional style, Plain Jane pip-squeak little brother to the Commander & the Gov't Model. And that's the way I like it.

But if you like the modern space age look, and/or the look of a custom gun better than the traditional look, the Defender may be your ticket.

·
Registered
7 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cxm:
We have several Officer's model .45s and and had a defender... the Defender was nick named "the big bopper" because the Defender (not just our example) had a habit of smacking the shooter's forehead with an empty case every two or three rounds... from time to time this resulted in a small cut to the forehead...sometimes several in a shooting session.

A good bit of "smith" attention helped the problem and reduced the hits to about one in five...but the difficulty never went away fully. The Defender is history, traded for a very nice older Officer's model

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WOW, thats a big problem in my book. Do you think they will or may have fixed it by now?

Has anyone else had this problem?

------------------
Founder, Creator, and
Overlord of Teh Unofficial
Patent Applied For Les
Paul Forum Pick.

[This message has been edited by Goldtop Dude (edited 12-02-2003).]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts