Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing a little research on a 3 inch barreled semi-auto pistol. I'm leaning towards a Colt Defender. I would like to hear pros and cons from people who own/or shot one.

·
Registered
10,823 Posts
You won't go wrong. It's an outstanding pistol. For ammunition you might look at the loading Remington makes specifically for short barrel pistols.

Reactions: sdb321

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I had a Defender in 45, have one in 40, and have a New Agent (same innards) in 45. They all run perfectly, and shoot better than I can hold.
I think the early ones had a recoil spring/rod problem, but Colt fixed that (free).

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Not to hijack the thread but I just picked this one up last Wednesday and haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I have a 3" New Agent which is a blast to shoot. The Defender is a little bit lighter so I'm curios as to how much grip I'll have to add when firing. This one was a pure impulse buy, I really like the way it looks and I know that it is great for conceal carry.
Defender.jpg

·
Registered
707 Posts
I love mine. Its 45 acp, stainless, with Hogue grips. I like the way it fills my hand and feels compared to a more compact gun and it has never failed to function correctly.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I had one in .40 S&W and, though we only shot 50 rounds though it, it ran 100% and was a joy to shoot. The only reason I sold it was because I carried a Glock as a LEO and that is what I am used to. I am to old to change. I still regret selling my .40 Defender, but know I would have never shot and enjoyed it the way it deserves.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I've been doing a little research on a 3 inch barreled semi-auto pistol. I'm leaning towards a Colt Defender. I would like to hear pros and cons from people who own/or shot one.
I purchased a new 9mm Colt Defender on December 28, so far I'm enjoying this new Colt. I have taken it to the range twice and ran shot 300 rounds of 115 grains FMJ from three different ammunition manufactures and some HP rounds without any issues. I am planning to run 200 additional FMJ rounds through it before field striping, for a good break in. Check out my range report on this forum.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Rick45, thanks for the range report. From what I've read so far, it looks like the Colt Defender will get the "nod". Now if the weather gets nicer (I just landed a job at my golf coarse) I can make some money to pay for "this addiction"!!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have a stainless Defender in 40 and love the Hogue grips. Before I took it out for the first time it was clean so I did not strip it down. The first 50 rounds had trouble feeding due to the gun being so dry. After the first cleaning and lube, it cycles without problems. My only issue is that some of the shells will eject over my head or hit the bill of my ball-cap.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Nice looking CD, Marrunred. Where did you get those Colt Grips, the VZs don't have that pattern or color?
It came that way. It is a Talo exclusive or something like that. In fact, I ran into a Commander that looks exactly the same and it should be here by the end of the week. If you like you can see one at gallaryofguns.com

1 - 16 of 16 Posts