Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering a Delta Elite as a shooter. Anyone have experience shooting 10mm, how are they to shoot?

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I'm considering a Delta Elite as a shooter. Anyone have experience shooting 10mm, how are they to shoot?
FUN!

ok you were probably expecting a little more of an answer.
hot flat shooting round that can be a hand full, but still fun. :cool:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Delta don't have a fully supported chamber (rampless barrel) Stay away from the super hot stuff and they shoot very well. I use the Underwood 180g 1240 FPS load for SD.

I shoot Freedom Munitions and Georgia Arms FMJ at the range.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I own a bright stainless Delta Elite (factory polished) and a Glock 20/29. There are 10mm loads like the Hornady selection that are very mild. I believe they have about 480 ft/lbs of energy which is less than the Winchester Silver Tips in 40S&W which are about 500 ft/lbs and about equal to most .45's in plus P form at about 534 ft/lbs. You can also get the Double Taps which in their 200 grain hard cast rounds have about 750 ft/lbs so you have a wide selection as far as recoil. The Delta is a big, heavy gun unlike the Glocks (27 oz vs 39 oz Colt) so I would go for it. It is a great round for protection against bear here in AZ (small bear). I think it is a trade off in the Delta vs Glock. The Glock frame absorbs energy by flexing but is also lighter. I like the single action trigger on the Colt if i had to choose but it was also worked on by Colt. Since the breech face is the same as the 40 S&W I also had a barre/bushingl fitted by Colt which I would suggest. The 40 SW is relatively cheap to shoot as compared to the 10mm unless you hand load.In the Glock 20 it is nice having 16 rounds vs 10 in the Colt. i am happy I do not have to choose between the two (or three) because they both have major advantages

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have a question/concern for all you Delta Elite owners...just bought my second DE a few weeks ago and got to the range today. So everything is going fine and ran about 50 rounds through with no problems. When I am done, I notice little marks on the top of the slide right behind the ejection port. It looks like the brass somehow was scratching the top of the slide and I can't figure out for the life of me how it happened?? Anyone ever experience anything like it?

The only possible thing I can come up with is since I was at a range, the brass might have bounced off the wall and hit it on the slide but that doesn't seem likely since there were 6-8 scratches all in the same general area that weren't there when I started shooting...

Any ideas??

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have several 10mm all are great shooters and lots of fun. I never had a problem shooting full house loads with my Delta Elite's. I hand load for the Colts. My Delta's flings the brass about 20 feet forward at the 10 o'clock. I shoot factory ammo as Buffalo bore and Norma and others with no issues. I've been waiting for my last Delta for more then 10 months. Good luck.

·
Registered
185 Posts
matt,

Just a combination of extractor tension, ejector length and possibly the fact that the slide might not be lowered and flared. It's not uncommon and as long as the cases are getting out, I would not worry too much. As you have two guns, you could check the tension of the extractor as the first place to check. You can buy guages to do this, but you can get a rough idea by checking how "tight" the case feels in both guns. The easiest thing to do is wipe the brass marks off with your favorite cleaning solution, and keep on shooting.

Craig

·
Registered
337 Posts
Colt Delta Elite 10m

Recreation Shooting sport Circle Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel
This beauty is a keeper. I have hand-loaded rounds with 165-gr .40S&W bullets to about 1400 fps. I find that is too hot for more than a few rounds.
The trouble with most commercial ammo is that it is no more than ".40S&W Long." Why bother? I don't know whether there is any commercial ammo that is hotter than .40S&W but less than the high-end 10mm Norma "spec" loads, so I make my own, firing the 140-gr bullet at about 1200 - 1400fps. Still not a "plinker," but justifies the caliber for me.
As you can see from the attached pic of a target, commercial ammo is quite accurate. I take responsibility for the flyer.
I also had a stainless DE that shot equally well. No offense to stainless steel lovers, I just thought it wasn't particularly attractive. (I had a .45ACP Government Model stainless "Double Eagle" that was truly ugly. Sold it to a Mexican police officer, who was delighted to get it.) I gave it (the stainless Delta 10mm) to a friend and we still go "golfing" together with them from time to time. BTW, it came (second hand) with a bizarre spring, guide rod and two blue "shock buffers" in it. I tossed the buffers, having had poor experiences with them in the distant past, and put in a standard guide rod with a Wolff Spring. Works just fine.
Glock had a manufacturers demonstration day at a local gunshop at about the time I shot the target you see, so I tried their 10mm Model 20 side-by-side with my blue DE. Glocks are fine guns, I just don't shoot them well. I don't like the trigger feel and that 20 just feels like a fat kitchen pestle in my hand. I could bitch about the sights, too, but the main thing is that the lighter Glock kicked much harder than the steel Colt, even with a full mag. I made faster follow-ups and had better accuracy with the Colt, but I'm sure a Glock fan would do as well with the 20.
I paid $750 for the blue one and consider it money well spent.
-Harkrader

·
Registered
337 Posts
You read my mind, chaosrob. I'd like to know more about factory loads that are a little below the Norma spec. Thanks!
-Harkrader

·
Registered
337 Posts
WHOOPS! From the Underwood ammo page:
10mm Auto Cannot be used in Colt Delta Elite or any other firearms with rampless barrel due to complete lack of case support.

Though their 165-gr TMJ at 1400fps is about what I load to with no problems.
-Harkrader

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
They offer other loadings. The warning is due to many claims of slide and frame cracking in the past on delta's.
WHOOPS! From the Underwood ammo page:
10mm Auto Cannot be used in Colt Delta Elite or any other firearms with rampless barrel due to complete lack of case support.

Though their 165-gr TMJ at 1400fps is about what I load to with no problems.
-Harkrader

·
Registered
337 Posts
I did a LOT of research, or attempted to, on that frame cracking issue. The little third party info I found with any real evidence seemed to say that was only with a very few very early serial numbers. The key seemed to be the shape of the slide lock notch. Both mine are of the later type, for which I have found, so far, no instances of cracking. Of course, with over-spec ammo, or shooting MANY rounds of the hottest spec ammo, anything will give out sooner or later.
An article by "Dean Speir" discussed this issue (non-issue according to him). Here's some of what he has to say: www.bren-ten.com/website/id50.html‎

The Underwood site specifically says the problem is the unsupported chamber of the Colt. I suppose that's similar to the problems with the Glocks, and others makes that did not have fully supported .40S&W chambers. The brass bulged, making it unsafe, many said, for reloading. I know *I* always tossed bulged brass.
Really, I would think, if the original Norma spec loads did not damage the gun, it would seem to me the Underwood loads would not.
Does anyone have experience with them?
-Harkrader

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.