Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If any one on the board conceal carries a detective how do you carry xtra ammo? Speed loader seems to big. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Bianchi "Speed Strips". The are semi flexible rubber,hold 6 rounds,and with a bit of practice,can be pretty fast.

Also,a flat ammo wallet.

Bud

·
Registered
400 Posts
I never worry about extra ammuntion for my CCW Cobra. In strictly my own opinion, I just don't see the need for me to be carrying it. I mean I'm using the handgun defensively not assaulting an objective. My point here is that just because all the "tactical" publications say so doesn't mean you really have to carry tons of ammunition. I won't bore the board again with my experience in this subject but 99% of the gun fights I've seen over the years are settled using whatever is in the weapon at the time. I.E. 17 rounds in a Glock 17, 5 in a S&W, or 6 in a Colt. Reloads are almost never performed in the civilian world because either the attacker or the attackee is dead, wounded, or going away at that point.

Dave

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Well said Dave. I never carry extra ammunition either. Your explaination sounds better than mine. I'm lazy!

·
Registered
904 Posts
I use a speed-strip OR a speed-loader. One. I don't expect to have an opportunity to reload in a self-defense situation but I also might use the gun for a groundhog or some such. Like to keep it full.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I can't say I blame you there Hobie. I never shot a ground hog with a 38 special. Although when I was younger I used to use a M1 Carbine on them with great effect. But alas here in Louisiana they would all drown. All I have now is Nutra Rats.

Dave

·
Registered
37 Posts
I carry one Bianchi speed strip. My DS is a second gun however to a FN HP with 14 rounds and an extra mag so the speed strip is likely superfluous. On duty I carry a SW 442 on my ankle and a speed strip in my shirt pocket. It backs up a Sig 229 in .357 sig with two extra mags making the strip unnecessary again, but old habits die hard.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Guys thanks for the input. It makes sense if you don't stop him in 6 shots time to run. Did check out Bianchi and they don't carry speed strips anymore but I bet I could find 1 on Ebay. Thanks again.

·
Registered
400 Posts
rtab1,

Everything said about extra ammo goes out the window for cops. They are expected to stay and fight if needed. Plus if God forbid I do ever have to shoot someone. I'm not planning on chasing them if they run away or going over to clear the weapon from them if they collapse there, cuff them, etc. A reload would be absolutely needed in those cases.

Dave

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm surprised that many of the replies indicate no reloads carried...I thought most people loaded for bear...

I usually carry either a DS, a Glock 26, or recently a CZ RAMI...and I don't carry a reload! I figured I could handle two attackers with any of the above. If there are three armed attackers, I won't need to reload...

Shel.

·
Registered
37 Posts
DWR: you'd be surprised how few cops carry a back up. I'm a supe and don't have a squad rifle in my squad. However, I always carry two guns and will get a rifle when I convert us over from 9mm Colt SMG's to .223's.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I'm glad to see I'm not the only person who does not carry extra ammo.

Jeez some guys (and maybe girls) say they have not one, but two speedloaders. Plus (of course) high power flashlight* knife* etc*

* Add "tactical" to all above items.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Well, I look at it different. I don't plan on using my spare tire or my insurance policey either, but I have them when I drive.

I had one friend who had a car door slam, hitting right on his Glock 19. The magazine floor plate popped off and all of his rounds hit the pavement.

I was working a parttime job and I heard "SPOING". The floor plate on my 1911 broke the weld and all of the rounds exited. And this was a quality magazine.

I find that the speedloader for my revolver makes a nice weight in my strongside vest or jacket pocket, enabling a bit of a swing when it is brushed aside for the draw.

No, a lot of the so called tactical stuff is too high speed except for combat or a SWAT type unit. But carrying extra ammo is merely common sense.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Darn I got extra ammo with me. Six rounds for a job which will take much less. Plus without a magazines etc to fail I got six reliable rounds too. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously carry just as much or as little as you feel comfortable carrying in my own opinion. Having the handgun and the willingness to use it is what's important.

Dave

1 - 20 of 20 Posts