Colt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My other colts are single action.But I just bought this detective model .Its nickel and came with the box unfired.I paid top dollar for it $550 I was told it was a 1947 but later when I looked up the #b495** I think put it in the 1970 range.Any way it is such a cool looking little thing I am going to keep it as a carry gun.The part of this that I find interesting is how accurate this little thing is.Really nice groups at 25 yds.and even hit a clay piegon at 50 yds after the 3rd shot.My two questions are this normal accuracy for these guns? and what ammo would you suggest for carry?.Thanks in advance

·
Registered
575 Posts
If it takes you three shots to hit a clay 'piegon' [sic] I suspect you'll be at a disadvantage shooting competitive trap or skeet.

As for ammunition, I'd suggest whichever premium expanding bullet load you find most accurate. It's my contention that the issue isn't finding a magic bullet, but training. I know little about Colts, but I suspect the sights are regulated for 158 grain bullets, so I'd start with these. The Winchester 158 grain +P LSWCJHP is a benchmark load for .38 defensive ammuntion in this bullet weight.

·
Registered
6,956 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
If it takes you three shots to hit a clay 'piegon' [sic] I suspect you'll be at a disadvantage shooting competitive trap or skeet.

[/ QUOTE ]

No reason for you to be snotty with your reply. He was asking an honest question and made a typo.

Welcome to the forum Ranch. You will find more than a few fans of the DS here.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,823 Posts
To answer your question, No, that kind of accuracy is not unusual with the Colt Detective Special.

These small Colt's always had the reputation of being a very definite step above other small revolvers in fit, finish, and quality, and very definitely more accurate than any other brand.

As "snubby" revolvers go, the Colt was the Cadillac.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Weagle99 for sticking up for me.When people just want to see the negative part of something they will not learn anything.I can tell from reading the posts that this site has alot to offer.My area might be select but I have alot of experience with shooting late 1800's firearms.I train horses for a living and shoot cowboy mounted shooting.I like to use real guns instead of Italian copys it give me more drive not to drop my gun or fall off the horse.Anyway I know this is a far cry from a Detective Special but I am willing to share .Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I'm a big fan of the DS and own several. The accuracy of this small revolver never fails to impress the uninitiated. The standard joke among my shooting friends who with boring regularity, rapidly knock over falling plates at 20 yards is that "they obviously didn't get the memo telling them you couldn't hit anything beyond three feet with a snub". The Detective is one of the great revolvers of all time. Not as sleek or sexy as a python but "Gets the job done"

·
Registered
576 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

No reason for you to be snotty with your reply. He was asking an honest question and made a typo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now, now. No worries -- that's just the way El Bib is, sorta sardonic. No offense intended, I'm sure.

Congrats on the DS, ranch. I'm looking for one m'self!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Ranch,

I recently got a 3" from 1972. These guns are interesting indeed. Noticeably smaller than a K-frame S&W, still has 6-shot capacity and not weighing much if any more than the J-frame S&W. I have a 3" version of each and I've come to prefer the Colt DS... I think you'll be happy with it. It really shoots better than one would expect.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I thought El Bibliotecario was jesting myself. I was amused to imagine a fellow shooting trap with his trusty Detective Special at 50 yards and only taking three shoots to connect with a clay. I make typo's and grammatical errors frequently and would chuckle if someone playfully pointed them out.

Back to Detective Specials though, I've been wanting one for ages. There must be something to their reputation for accuracy. This thread is winding me up about them again. I know where there is a 1965 vintage Detective Special for $450. Don't know if it comes with its box but it is cherry.

·
Registered
27 Posts
A couple of decades ago, Massad Ayoob wrote that the DS was the "belly gun that shoots like a target pistol." My experience certainly reinforces that notion.

The DS is still the most accurate, and most importantly "shootable", small revolver ever made. Shoot a "J" frame for a while, then come back to the DS - you'll be amazed at just how good it really is.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Hey Grant;

Thanks for posting the link to your site. I just had a nosey about and enjoyed it. Saved it to favorites for later use.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I only own one , But is has never disapointed me in any way. Shoot to POA , Beautiful blueing, Smooth fuctioning, Great carry gun . Right now My lovely young wife uses itas her side of the bed go get'm gun. I too usually like the SAA , But this DS and a ( Mark V .357 BOUGHT USED ) are both great firearms.

·
Registered
121 Posts
i agree with defaris,they are exceptionally accurate,i have yet to find a colt that is very inacurate,those that say otherwise can't shoot,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts