Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I'm new Colt Forums. I have a question on a Colt Detective Special .32 N.P. I got a minty one from my great aunt and am researching it. I found by the serial # it was made in 1975. #M111xx. The info I found on Guncollectorsclub dot com is that this gun was not made in a .32 N.P. in 1975. It states that .38 Specials were only made after 1973.
Below is the info copied from the website,

"3) Third variation Detective Specials were manufactured from 1973 to 1986 in .38 Special only. These third variation models introduced the full shrouded ejector rod".

Mine does not have the shouded ejector rod. It has the exposed rod like the 2nd variation. It has wood grips with partially exposed backstrap, the butt is wood, 2" barrel. Looks like a 2nd variation, but serial # says it's a 3rd. Is the info on wiki and guncollectorsclub wrong?

I would also like to know what type of box was used in 1975 for the Detective Special. Cardboard or the blue plastic? Any info would be helpful. Thanks

colt32s&w01.JPG

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Serial Number Data Proofhouse also puts it at 1975. The variation is correct. 1st Generation/Issue were made from 1927-1950 (I think that was the year), Second Generation/Issue were made from 1951 to 1972 and The Third Generation/Issue were from 1973 to 1986.

The only thing I can think happened is that you got a 1975 frame and somebody took an old .32 NP barrel and cylinder and put them on your 1975 frame at some point in the guns history. BUT....from what I understand...that would take pretty specific fitting. Maybe somebody sent a damaged pre1972 .32 NP to Colt Factory after 1975 and they fixed it by switching the barrel and cylinder to one of their 1975 frames.

DFariswheel, THE doctor of Colt Revolvers, will be here soon to give you a much better and more accurate answer than mine.

P.S. Nice Pistol 8)

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Well, once again other resources are suspect. :rolleyes: The shrouded-ejector began circa 1972. While it is true that Colt did not make that barrel in 32 caliber, neither did they throw away the remaining 32 caliber barrels they had. :cool:

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/colt-revolvers/57838-question-ds-32-new-colt.html

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/col...e-positive-special-detective-special-32s.html

There are likely more mentions that could be found by searching detective unshrouded. :cool:

Oh, and blue plastic was not used until the 90s, but I am not the box expert to tell you exactly what would be correct.

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
If you want the straight information on Colts, you came to the right place. Obviously, whoever posted that "info" on Guncollectorsclub doesn't have a clue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
If you want the straight information on Colts, you came to the right place. Obviously, whoever posted that "info" on Guncollectorsclub doesn't have a clue.
Yes this is why I can to the forum. I figured if anyone would know about Colt's the fine people here would. That info was on the main page of guncollectorsclub for Colt Detective Specials, not from a forum post. The same info is also listed on wikipedia.
I did find another forum that said, Colt had a special run of these .32 New Police with the exposed ejector in 1975. They must have found a bunch in storage and ran them again. That said, I don't believe it was a barrel change or anything like that.
The post was an older one where someone asked the same question as I did. I listed the post below. So I guess we all know now.

A1A, thanks for the info on the box. That helps a bunch. Now I just need to find one!
I'm not sure if I will fire it, as it does not look like it's ever been fired. I know my dad never fired it and I don't believe my great aunt fired it either. I ran a cleaner though it and got nothing from it.
I have now seen 3 made in this 1975 run. It's a cool little gun!
Thanks to all for the help!

JudgeColt

2354 Posts
Posted - 02/02/2010 : 12:13:16 AM

[HR][/HR]
Colt made a special run of these Model D-1220 .32NP unshrouded Detective Specials in 1975. I bought one new (M17831) from Ellett Brothers and kept it for years, finally trading it and several other guns for a low two-digit Service Model Ace.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts