Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
July 2005's issue of Guns & Ammo has a 4 page spread on the Colt Detective special for those of you that would like to know that.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GUNKWAZY:
July 2005's issue of Guns & Ammo has a 4 page spread on the Colt Detective special for those of you that would like to know that.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes I just read it this afternoon. Very good. Tempts me to trade in my S&W 431 PD for a good ol' Detective Special. When I was looking for a summer snubbie a few months back I was torn between the DS and the 431. I took the latter because it is easier to have repaired.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GUNKWAZY:

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes I just read it this afternoon. Very good. Tempts me to trade in my S&W 431 PD for a good ol' Detective Special. When I was looking for a summer snubbie a few months back I was torn between the DS and the 431. I took the latter because it is easier to have repaired and I couldn't find one in the second generation series that I wanted.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I usually stay away from Guns and Ammo but I will pick this one up. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Given the opportunity to really write about the gun, they did a poor job in my opinion. I guess I expected more out of the authors. You could easily have expanded the article about 50% by just covering the common posts on the net and given the whole article more "body".

------------------
10mm and 357 sig. The best things to come along since the 38 Super.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Just like the "Triple Lock" article in American Rifleman,nothing new. Just rehashes of other articles,these guys are lazy. I miss the older writers,like Bob Shimek,JB Wood,who really tested guns,and did some research.

I know that modern writers won't dare really criticize an adverisers gun,but many of these guys,have no clue as to the past.

Not meant to be elitist,but "gun rags" and their writers/editors, suck compared to 15-20 years ago. This decline in quality has saved me a lot of $$$ though-to spend on reloading components-for more range time!

Bud

·
Registered
267 Posts
Sorry to get off topic, but I sure agree with you. When I decided to get a detective special, I started searching the available forums and downloading everything to the hard disk. After reading all of the posts (nearly 1000 of them) I really understood the issues, the versions, the pros/cons, the grips, smithing etc.

Now, this only took a few evenings of spare time to download and a couple of slack days in the field to synthesize a much better understanding of the gun then the article writen.

After buying one, shooting it and learning about the issues, I found I agreed with some posts more then others, but I could understand it.

Why don't the writers for the gun-zines do the same thing??????

------------------
10mm and 357 sig. The best things to come along since the 38 Super.

[This message has been edited by Peter M. Eick (edited 06-12-2005).]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts