Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a Colt detective special in nickel with stag grips 1937 model. I would like to try and find out what it is worth

Thanks

·
Registered
438 Posts
Please post some pics?
It will lose some worth if the factory grips are gone. If the replacements are fairly period to the gun and nice it does not drop the value as much as, say, a modern set of rubber grips would.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I feel sure they are the original grips not sure how to post pics, sorry new to the site need some insight

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
If you only have a few photos, you can "attach" them to your post directly from your computer. Scroll down to the Attach Files menu when creating or editing a post, select Manage Attachments and follow the prompts. There is a limit of 5 photos per post and a fairly low limit on total image storage on the forum server(s). :)

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
Values will fluctuate wildly on these. It is a matter of condition, originality, box and papers, grips that came with the gun, etc. Stag would be unlikely though. Pics will, no doubt, help. Welcome aboard. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for all the replies trying to get some pics posted I guess the grips are not factory but they have been on the gun for at least the last 60 + years

thanks again

·
Registered
352 Posts
that is a nice detective. from the pics, i would say that is the original finish. the grips are definitely not factory. if it is from the late 30's, original nickle guns are becoming scarce. i hate to jump in on value. a nice set of grips from the era, with a fairly-well matching amount of wear/patina would help. i would cautiously say it would bring 425, or maybe 450 at a gun show around here. a potential buyer would just have to hold it in their hand and decide for themselves. maybe a little more, maybe a little less.

thanks for the pics!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the reply I guess I will wait for the next gun show and see how it goes. While I am there try to get a set of correct grips.

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
If you want to shine up the nickel finish, polish lightly with flitz or mothers mag, then apply rennaisance wax and rub it down with a micro fiber cloth or just a soft clean cotton rag Dont use too much flitz or mag just enough to bring out the shine. The renaissnce wax will add the finishing touch and should make it quite resistant to fingerprints. I had a smokey/milky looking nicle DS and after polishing it, it now looks BEAUTIFUL.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I collect pre-was Detectives and would agree with the $450 plus or minus price estimate if the finish is factory original. The problem is that the finish on your gun shows some serious flaking (evident on the cylinder). Once the nickel finish begins to go, so does the price. A excellent pre-war nickel gun would generally go for well over $1000.

As for the grips, they can generally be found on Ebay if one is patient. Expect to pay $100 or so for a nice set. Make sure to educate yourself on the grips as the pre-war grips differ from those on post war guns.

Another suggestion. You may want to give the gun a very light polishing with either Flitz or Mothers. It would almost certainly remove some of the cloudiness in the finish. Good luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the advice I'll head out and get some Mothers see if it will polish up I will go lightly.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts