Colt Forum banner

Colt Detective Special or Colt Agent

4K views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  rockyrider 
#1 ·
What would be the more collectible/valuable: a Colt Detective Special or A Colt Agent? Both are blued and made in the early/ mid 70's. The condition of both would be about 95%. The DS has the shroud around the ejector rod and the Agent does not. Both have the wood grips and the Agent has the Colt emblem on them and the DS does not. Thanks for the input.

#3 ·
If you were comparing the Agent and DS where both had the shrouded or unshrouded ejector rods, my preference would go to the steel Detective Special. There may have been fewer Agents, but I like the heavier weight a little more. Others may vary on this opinion and their collection interests.

Value wise, the unshrouded Agent and shrouded Detective Special are not that far apart. And if you are ever going to carry the gun, the shroud was added for a reason.

Again, preferences vary and it depends on what you are collecting.

This post has been deleted
#12 ·
In the last couple of years I have bought both an Agent(1957) and a DS(1961), Agent has that odd short grip that was unique to it and the Courier. That grip plus the light weight insures that it's the one I grab to carry. Not sure if this is to far off topic, but the triggers on both guns had so much curve, and length, that when I would shoot DA the trigger would dig into the corner/base of my finger nail. The bruise I got was so painful that I was unable to shoot anthing til it healed. Had a local smith shorten and re-curve both triggers to make them more comfortable to shoot. Happen to anyone else?

#13 ·
I believe the DS is drawing a bit more money if condition is equal. As to the why some people pick one over the other?..some people like a 1 lb (empty) revolver with a shorter grip than a 1 1/2 lb (empty) revolver (weights are approximate but sorta close ;) ) with an ever so slightly longer grip. Me? Once loaded that 1/2 lb doesn't mean much on a good gun belt and holster setup. I like steel, some people like the alloy. Potato and Potahtoe. The history and love affair with the DS is legendary and so it goes. Have a '60 and a '76 and love em both. Kinda like Coca Cola and Pepsi Cola :)

#16 ·
Be aware that the finish on an aluminum alloy frame will wear quicker than the blue on a steel frame. I bought an ANIB blue Agent in 2006. When I got home from Afghanistan in 2007, I bought a pocket holster and it goes with me most everywhere. The finish is getting thin, but I don't care. It was bought because it is lightweight and I intended to pocket carry it a great deal, and I have.

#18 · (Edited)
The Agent is cool It brings the TV series "Secret Agent Man" to mind and its song. I wanted one bad back then, but it took me near 25 years to finally be able to buy a used one . I still have it and I would not want to sell it. It shoots right where it should and it is so light and easy to carry. I can carry it in a shirt pocket .
The only negatives are -it bites pretty good with heavier loads and with it's aluminum frame you don't want to shoot it much with hot loads It will wear faster than the steel frame DS. Also you don't get as good a grip on it as the DS although I can put my little finger under the grip and that helps - but its made for easy comfortable concealment and not a ton of shooting.
The DS handles recoil better is more robust because of the steel frame and fits my hand a little better. It also is a little more noticeable carrying it (but not much)
If you want to shoot it a lot, Id go for the DS. If you want to carry it a lot and not shoot it too much I might go for the Agent.

The sights on the unshrouded DS are easier to see and don't disappear as much under certain lighting conditions. The unshrouded DS is a little lighter than the shrouded DS. The unshroude DS has the old school classic look
The shrouded DS is a sleek really good-looking snub. It can handle +P's supposedly more so than the unshrouded DS. The ramp sights in some light aren't that easy to see.
I like em both

#19 ·
I'd choose a Detective Special every time over the Agent if I was going to hold onto one. I own one Dick Special and its my shooter 38spl. It has scratches on the cylinder like it slid across some concrete flooring or was dropped and it slid. Bought it a couple years ago.

The question for me has always been is the Cobra preferred over the Detective Special?

#21 ·
I'd choose a Detective Special every time over the Agent if I was going to hold onto one. I own one Dick Special and its my shooter 38spl. It has scratches on the cylinder like it slid across some concrete flooring or was dropped and it slid. Bought it a couple years ago.

The question for me has always been is the Cobra preferred over the Detective Special?
Bet that one has an interesting story connected to its past!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.