Colt Forum banner

421 - 440 of 454 Posts

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Question, how do you know it's a "Homicide" detective's gun? I see what I think is an H at the end. Does the script wrap around the bottom to read Homicide?

Thanks, Scott

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
The curator of the RPD Museum, who is a retired Captain said in the day this gun was used, the homicide squad was known as the "A" squad hence the fancy scroll A at the very bottom of the backstrap. The number is the detectives shield number which was the same type shield as uniformed officers. The gun letters to Richmond Va police department.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Here's my 1964 DS to which I've recently added some BK grip adaptors. I know, I know... they're plastic....and I resisted getting some, but since Tyler-T's are rarely available I thought I'd try them. They sure do give me a much better handful of grip while shooting so I'm already sold on them.

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
One of only a few hundred ever manufactured in that caliber. NICE find...

Reactions: Scottz63 and Spirit

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
Here are my two..a 1930 Pre det special on the right and the one I carried way back in the early 80's on the left. They both shoot great!!
Do you have the letter for your pre Detective Special? I have one too, and I love seeing them when they pop up. Lovely gun. (Both of your detectives are!)

If yours is actually from 1930 that would be wild, as they discountinued the skinny frame in 1927. If you have more photos, I'd love to see them too.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Do you have the letter for your pre Detective Special? I have one too, and I love seeing them when they pop up. Lovely gun. (Both of your detectives are!)

If yours is actually from 1930 that would be wild, as they discountinued the skinny frame in 1927. If you have more photos, I'd love to see them too.
Spirit, no letter on it. It was ID' by Gary James from Guns & Ammo in June 2017 issue. Send me a private message/conversation with your email or cell # as this is actually easier and better quality photo..It did have to go to Glenn Frank for a new cylinder stop but all is great now with it!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I guess I have more research to do on this one! My serial number is in the 3343XX range..maybe a colt letter on this one. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I guess I have more research to do on this one! My serial number is in the 3343XX range..maybe a colt letter on this one. Thanks for the info.
You're welcome. I own the short-barreled Police Positive Special illustrated in figure 3.3 above in Gary's book. Note the serial number and the date of shipment, indicating that yours was made shortly before mine in 1926.

421 - 440 of 454 Posts