Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a Colt Detective Specialwith a Hammer Shroud marked with a Colt Pony on right side. Serial # is 971650. Can anybody tell me approximate date of manufacture? Weapon is in excellent shape, shows minor wear on the bluing, grips have Gold Colt Medallion. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If it is D971650, it is 1968 according to proofhouse.com. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome. Have just started collecting "old" Colt this past year. There is no letter prefix on this serial number. It is stamped on both the frame where the crane mates and on the crane itself (they match needless to say). The frame is the "short butt", and of course the ejector rod is unshrouded. Thought that the pony marked hammer shroud was neat.

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
That's interesting. In 1966 the alphanumeric serials started and the DS serials were not that high prior to that, again according to proofhouse.com. Perhaps they were pre-stamped and not changed, but that would not be cool with the ATF. I guess I'll defer to someone with firsthand knowledge of that era /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Yes a factory installed shroud is generally considered a plus.
Sometimes the stamped numbers can be deceiving. You might really verify the digits, just for drill. Or, you can call Colt or email [email protected] and ask for manufacture date only. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Premium Member
9,471 Posts
Tom_M: Now THAT is interesting! The charts would not agree that such a number with no "D" prefix is possible. Are you sure there is no "D" hiding somewhere? Is the butt the short, square style, or the full-frame style?

·
Registered
758 Posts
I have the little darlin' in front of me, and there's just the numbers. It has the short square butt where the wood grips extend below it. I bought it on St. Patrick's Day in 1967, so I suppose it could be a 1966 model if the dealer didn't turn his inventory that often. Anyway, no alpha characters of any kind.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts