Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased and awaiting delivery of a Colt DS in nickle. Seems as if I read somewhere that there were only a limited number of DS in nickle finish. This particular gun is of 1975 mfg. Anyone have any info on this subject.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Check out the thread in the photo section on DS. Lots of good pics along with supporting info. I have a pic of my nickle DS (manu. in 1982) on the last page. Lot of knowledgeble (sp) on this site. Sure they will be able to give you some hard #'s. Post up some pics when the DS arrives.

·
Premium Member
6,467 Posts
The number I have heard bruited around over the years is that aproximately 10% of standard production guns were made in Nickel finish. Never have seem any real substantiation of this number, just what I have heard and observed. No matter what, any Detective Special is a great gun to own. They are simply the best .38 Snubby ever made!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
"They are simply the best .38 Snubby ever made!"

If you put the word "Colt" after "Snubby," possibly true. Beyond that, there are many who would violently argue the point, as "Best" is a very subjective and personal word. As the virtues of being small for concealment and lightweight are considered as meaning "Best" by many, there are certainly lots of other .38 snubbies (even some made by Colt) that are smaller and lighter than the DS.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
The New Pocket (.32), Pocket Positive (.32), New Police (.32), Banker's Special (.22 or .38 S&W) and Aircrewman (.38 Special) (only made one year, generally unavailable, aluminum cylinder - probably should not fire it) are all smaller and lighter than the Detective Special, but do not fire .38 Special, instead firing less powerful ammo. The Colt Cobra (.38 Special) and Agent (.38 Special) are the same physical dimensions as the DS, but can be found chambered in .38 Special, and weigh less than a DS, since they are built on aluminum alloy frames. The SF-VI and DS-II weigh a bit more than the DS.

DWalt, which snubbies, made by Colt, are smaller and lighter than the DS and also chamber .38 Special ammo? (I have already mentioned the Cobra and Agent).

·
Premium Member
6,467 Posts

If you put the word "Colt" after "Snubby," possibly true. Beyond that, there are many who would violently argue the point, as "Best" is a very subjective and personal word. As the virtues of being small for concealment and lightweight are considered as meaning "Best" by many, there are certainly lots of other .38 snubbies (even some made by Colt) that are smaller and lighter than the DS.
The word best doesn't seem very subjective to me. I think the Detective Special is the best .38 Snubby ever made. You and others are certainly entitled to have a different opinion.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
The Detective Special and the Cobra are the best 38 Snubbies in my humble opinion.With the Detective Special you have a fantastic double action trigger and a sixth round.The Cobra is a airweight that is well balanced and a absolute joy to shoot,a actual airweight that you will be proficient with because you will shoot it.My instructor always said "Shoot what you carry and carry what you shoot"......Enjoy.....Mike

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
The DS is a great baby hog leg. I have two blues and one nickle. I also have a blue and nickel cobra and an agent but I am kinda partial to the DS.

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
I had a taurus 38 special snub. I have 2 smith and wesson model 36 snubs and a model 60 snub. I have several detective specials. I like the S&W's and the colt DS's but I like the Colt DS the BEST.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

Note the quote did not say "best .38 Special" thereby allowing inclusion of a wide spectrum of revolvers chambered in .38 S&W (including the DS which was also chambered in .38 S&W). No argument the DS is a fine piece, but for CC purposes (limited to a revolver in .38 Special), I'd chose something else of more recent vintage - my personal favorite being the S&W Airweight 442 (at least the first version without trigger lock). I also like some of the Charter Arms models very much.

I contend that "best" as a stand-alone adjective is highly subjective and imprecise. Best in what way or ways? There is a difference between what you like the best (which is emotionally driven) and what by objective standards is the best for its intended purposes. No two individuals will have the same objective standards, else there wouldn't be hundreds of makes and models of cars (or revolvers or anything else) on the market. And, by the way, if the DS is in fact the best, why isn't it still being made? The answer is simply that not enough buyers thought it was the best for one reason or another (too big, too heavy, too expensive, too whatever is important to you).

·
Registered
324 Posts
I feel I own two of the "best" snubs ever made. I love my 442 for it's weight and size (makes a perfect ankle gun)...but I also love my DS...a bit much for pocket or ankle but great on the belt...with a little more weight for better follow up shots, a little more barrel to aim with, and that exalted extra shot....:)

my 442 in it's main home...a renegade cozy partner...

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
And, by the way, if the DS is in fact the best, why isn't it still being made?
i was ok w/your rant until you wrote that sentence.
current production has absolutely nothing to do w/superiority or being the "best".
most, if not all of the very best handguns of all time are no longer being made, sir.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
The subject matter of "best" can always be debated because personal opinion is just that.Because of a extra round in the chamber,fantastic DA trigger pull,and point of aim = point of impact I vote for the D.S. as being the "best".Now I find your choice of the "Aiweight" Model 442 being a superior carry gun quite interesting indeed.This gun doesn't lend itself to being practiced with often because IT HURTS TO SHOOT.Also with the extra recoil and muzzle flip follow up shots will naturally be delayed in a Self Defense situation.IMHO the "Cobra" or Agent are superior lightweight carry guns because they are so well balanced the shots go to point of aim= point of imact and follow up shots are not a problem because your sight picture isn't lost due to muzzle flip.Also with the Alluminum Alloy frame you have the advantage of reduced weight while in Concealled Carry Mode.The reason why Colt isn't making Double Action Revolvers is that they were a casuality of the 1980's UAW Strike.Colt couldn't put out a D.S. @ a price point that would be affordable with the quality that Colt DA Revolvers are famous for plain and simple.JMHO......Mike

Note the quote did not say "best .38 Special" thereby allowing inclusion of a wide spectrum of revolvers chambered in .38 S&W (including the DS which was also chambered in .38 S&W). No argument the DS is a fine piece, but for CC purposes (limited to a revolver in .38 Special), I'd chose something else of more recent vintage - my personal favorite being the S&W Airweight 442 (at least the first version without trigger lock). I also like some of the Charter Arms models very much.

I contend that "best" as a stand-alone adjective is highly subjective and imprecise. Best in what way or ways? There is a difference between what you like the best (which is emotionally driven) and what by objective standards is the best for its intended purposes. No two individuals will have the same objective standards, else there wouldn't be hundreds of makes and models of cars (or revolvers or anything else) on the market. And, by the way, if the DS is in fact the best, why isn't it still being made? The answer is simply that not enough buyers thought it was the best for one reason or another (too big, too heavy, too expensive, too whatever is important to you).

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
J-Frame Smith & Wessons are ok but the Detective Special is king of the snubbies. I like the steel fame as I don't mind compact handguns but don't seek ever-lighter ones.

·
Registered
7,545 Posts
While we can debate this issue until the cows come home there are a few points to consider;
The Chiefs Special, M36 and M37 (Airweight) are good little guns they are a bit small in the grip area. They are five shot. The square butt version is OK, but the round butt leaves something to be desired. I've owned all three of these, round and square butt.

Charter Arms seems like a good revolver but they've gone out of business so many time is a short period of time its hard to keep track. A gunsmithing book I have states when they go out of service they usually need quite a bit of work.

The Detective Special as for a .38 Special seem to have a long track record to stand on. Some older ones are still in use today. I had a preWWII DS that worked just fine and was made in the first year of the round butt. Cobra & Agent basically the same but lightweight, with the Agen having a shorter butt, but is still better than a S & W M37 IMO. Six shot. Six rounds is 20% more firepower than 5.

All of these snubbies have their own virtues, pros and cons, etc. I don't feel that the newer Smith & Wesson's are in the same category as the older S & W, or Colt's for that matter. Neither are Taurus, Ruger or Charter Arms.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I have one very discrening friend who believes the Ruger LCR is absolutely the last word in a CC revolver. I've never fired one myself, and it may well be as good as he thinks it is, but the looks sort of turn me off. I have a Charter Undercover (one of the originals), which I bought used in 1998, and it has been ideal for me. I haven't fired it as extensively as some of my other snubbies, but I have no complaints about it. Regarding a "Modern" DS, one of the local dealers is selling what appears to be a fairly close copy of a DS made in the Philippines, for $200, including a box of ammunition. No one would mistake it for an original DS, but the resemblance is certainly there and the price is attractive. Mechanically it seems OK, but the finish and especially the grips are somewhat crude. With a better finish and grips more like the DS, it could be a contender. See: http://www.gunsamerica.com/93910418...t_Detective_Clone_2_Blue_Steel_6_Shot_NIB.htm

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I have one very discrening friend who believes the Ruger LCR is absolutely the last word in a CC revolver.  I've never fired one myself, and it may well be as good as he thinks it is, but the looks sort of turn me off.  I have a Charter Undercover (one of the originals), which I bought used in 1998, and it has been ideal for me.  I haven't fired it as extensively as some of my other snubbies, but I have no complaints about it.  Regarding a "Modern" DS, one of the local dealers is selling what appears to be a fairly close copy of a DS made in the Philippines, for $200, including a box of ammunition.  No one would mistake it for an original DS, but the resemblance is certainly there and the price is attractive.  Mechanically it seems OK, but the finish and especially the grips are somewhat crude.  With a better finish and grips more like the DS, it could be a contender.

·
Registered
7,545 Posts
The Phillipine snubby is made by Armscor and seems to be based on the Colt MKIII (or V) action. A local shop by me sells them and keeps them in stock.

The Ruger LCR may very well be a good snubby but it is the ugliest revolver I've ever seen.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts