Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a chance to purchase a nickel DiamondBack, 4" barrel in need of refinishing. The revolver is stained, no flaking, I have not tried to remove the stains. Any idea what it would cost to have Colt re-do it and at a purchase price of $700.oo would it be cost effective? Also, if Colt refinishes the gun, how bad soes it affect the value or collectability?

Thanks,
JP

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Hi JP; Colt's Custom Shop retail price list for 2013 shows a nickel refinish price at $375.

There's no doubt that a refinish will diminish the gun's once original value but that is something completely up to the owner. If the Diamondback is a .22 caliber, it will be appreciably higher in value.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
it cost around 400 to refinish in nickel, you will have a 1k pistol after it is said and done (from colt) JMHO
collectability- here goes, to the purest they will not touch it with a ten foot pole
to a collector of nice things ,they will knock you down on price cause it is not original finish but will still buy it.
to the guy with a gold tooth & a gleam in his eye for shiny objects,he will pay you for what you ask.
And to the ones that just want one,gotta have type,un-informed,i don't care, will run it up on auction sites .

that is my take on refinish,but it is your gun do as you please with it.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
The main question here is why do you want to go that route. Are you buying this gun because you personally like it for your self or you going to resell it? If you want it because you want it then it doesn't matter what you do to it. It's yours and you can have it anyway it is appealing to you. If you are looking to turn a buck then sell it as is and as honestly as you can. If not then don't buy it. It's not worth the effort to fix it and not get your money out of it. If you like it buy it and enjoy it, if the stain bothers you don't get it wait for the right one to come along and enjoy that one.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I think the god tootheses. 😁

1 - 7 of 7 Posts