Colt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up this Diamondback in Nickel 2 1/2 in and was wondering if these are original grips? Did Colt put service grips on all of the snub Diamondbacks or is there some with full size grips like on my revolver.This gun looks brand new with no turn line but the grips are a question mark.What do the experts think? Thanks for any help. Colt Nickel DiamondBack Snub 029.jpg Colt Nickel DiamondBack Snub 030.jpg Colt Nickel DiamondBack Snub 032.jpg Colt Nickel DiamondBack Snub 033.jpg Colt Nickel DiamondBack Snub 034.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,467 Posts
Every 2 1/2" barreled Diamondback I have seen had the smaller service stocks. I don't know if any were shipped with the oversized target stocks. Also, don't think a Factory Letter will tell you what the original stocks were either. In any case, you have a rare Colt there if it letters as the factory original Nickel finish and barrel length.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
John, I believe the screw is flat,would you really notice it if it were concave? This gun has a serial number N 14XXX which puts it at a 1977 and the letter C under the serial number on the frame.Anyone know what the C stands for?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,081 Posts
The "C" is a standard factory inspectors stamp.

"Most" all Diamondbacks with the 2 1/2" barrel shipped with the Service grips, but with Colt, anything is possible.

If the rear side plate screw is flat, it probably shipped with the Target grips.
Compare the screw head to the front side plate screw. The front screw is domed or "round head". A flat head is obvious.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The head is flat on the rear plate.There is also the letter E on the left side down by trigger guard just above the left grip,what does this stand for? By the way, THANKS for the help!

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
Being I am the expert at worng grips and wrong flat head screws and had to do a lot of research to correct the problems. :)

My python snub came with a flat screw on the side plate, as the previous owner had presentation grips on it at one time.

The round head / domed head screw is actually called "crowned head" per my factory friends. :)

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
The "C" is a standard factory inspectors stamp.

"Most" all Diamondbacks with the 2 1/2" barrel shipped with the Service grips, but with Colt, anything is possible.

If the rear side plate screw is flat, it probably shipped with the Target grips.
Compare the screw head to the front side plate screw. The front screw is domed or "round head". A flat head is obvious.
Exactly correct,

John

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
DiamondBack grips

DiamondBack Lt rear.jpg here are pics of inside of grips and the gun without grips on Colt DiamondBack grips 001.jpg Colt DiamondBack grips 002.jpg does these pics help to tell if grips are real and the screw looks curved? What do the experts think? Thanks

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Zoomed in quite close, looks like it is below the side plate. But also look slightly rounded. Need better pictures to tell.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I am no D Back expert and have no first hand experience, but.

Since the stocks on a D Back do not cover the screw, is it not plausible that they didn't use a flat head screw like we have come to expect on E/I frame guns?

I have never been able to pin any experts down as to when the target stock styles changed in a D Back, either. Were these early style stocks still being used in 1977?

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
View attachment 22410 here are pics of inside of grips and the gun without grips on View attachment 22404 View attachment 22405 does these pics help to tell if grips are real and the screw looks curved? What do the experts think? Thanks
"Zoomed in quite close, looks like it is below the side plate. But also look slightly rounded. Need better pictures to tell."
Plus 1: It appears the screw is domed/crowned and is down in the hole also.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I really believe it's a Nickel Diamondback in like new condition,with no turn line .Serial number puts it at a 1977, N14XXX. I might call Colt but will they tell me if it will letter Nickel?

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
In the interest of learning and saving the OP 3 months of time, not to mention the cost of a letter, didn't Colt put a "N" for Nickel on the frame some where?

·
Registered
686 Posts
I have two Diamondback snubbies NIB and they both have the smaller squarebutt wood stocks with silver medallions, certainly nothing like the photos you are showing.

Elliotf, you are getting confused with S&W. You find the N stamped in several places on their factory nickel guns depending on model and year. Sometimes on the frame under the grips, on the face of the cylinder, sometimes under the barrel lug, sometimes only once, sometimes twice. Never seen them stamped 3 times, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts