Colt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been collecting colts for quite a while. I have had a mint 4 inch blue diamondback 22 long rifle for quite a while. I recently acquired a 4 inch blue diamondback 22 magnum. It is clearly stamped diamondback 22 magnum. I never knew that they existed stamped that way. I would see the 22 mag referal sentence in the blue book but had never seen one. Can anyone please shed some light on what I have and give me some factual information. It would be much appreciated. Thanks

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
welcome to the forum, a rare gun and i would suggest a factory letter. personally i have never see an original but i do know fakes exist. a letter will be money well spent.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
$75 well spent.
If the Jamokes can make a .41 Magnum Python, making a .22 magnum D-back's got to be an easy one to do.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
There was a fake 22 mag Diamondback being offered for sale by an individual in the northeastern Kentucky area in the past few months. The serial number is somewhere in the stacks of paper around my desk, but it's hiding from me at the moment. When and if I find it, I'll post it here.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
So far as I know, only the BB claims they exist. I have never seen one and this is the first one to surface. Fakes supposedly do exist though.
I would definately letter the gun first.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does anyone have any pictures or stories of the fakes. People keep mentioning them and I would like to know more or see some. Any other feedback highly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Found it...The s/n of the fake from Kentucky is P20230. A very nice blue 4 inch Diamondback. Condition was as new and at the time, with no box or papers except for a Colt letter that is also bogus. It was being offered for sale in May of this year. A call to Kathy Hoyt confirmed that the gun left Colt in 1981 as a 4 inch 22lr and that the letter was also a fake. The seller pleaded ignorance and I tend to believe he was also duped. He withdrew the gun from public sale, but that doesn't mean it won't resurface again at a gun show or with a new sales pitch from a new owner.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The serial number on mine is nowhere close to that number. It is a 1977 manufacture. Any other knowledge????? I would like to hear more..

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
My information on the 22WMR versions of the Diamondback is that a few exist(<10). They were all deemed development guns. I was told that the barrels had the 22LR markings rather than 22WMR. This information comes from a long time ago and conversations with Colt.

Added tidbit from some of my old notes on a 22LR Diamondback with a 22WMR barrel marking.

October 9, 1992 Gun List classified ad: Pg. 20

Diamondback (4 inch Blue) .22 LR revolver was incorrectly marked .22 magnum but chambered for .22 LR. Ad references a letter from Colt, which states that some were shipped from the factory mis-marked in 1968. However the one that is for sale for $900.00 and based on the serial number dates out to be a 1976 gun. Guy states that he has knowledge of two others so marked. I called him concerning this gun.

I didn't pursue it due to financial issues at the time and my concern for its originality.

If they exist, they would most likely be D-prefixed serial numbers from the late 1960's. They were cataloged for a while by Colt but never went into regular production.

Definitely get a factory letter on the gun. The gun will always raise questions as to its factory originality without a letter. Can you possibly post a few photographs of the gun? Also, try to chamber 22WMR rounds and see if they fits in the cylinder.

Edited from my original post due to faulty memory. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

·
Registered
181 Posts
I really don't understand what you mean by this. Are you asking if there ever was a factory Colt Diamondback .22WMR? Or are you asking what we bought last? Very disparate thoughts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Apologies if it was unclear. My link was to my original post made today, then found this thread from years ago discussing same thing. Just thought I would bump it here in case anyone knew more. I'll repost what I said from that link (my post was at the bottom.)

Wanted a 1968 .22LR Diamondback to match my birth year. Today I was excited to receive a 4" blue for a relatively low price in a recent online auction. My excitement quickly reversed when Mini-Mags were requiring several strikes to fire in it. Then I noticed that the casings were flared at the bottom. Range officer noticed how loose the shells fit in the cylinder. As one may have guessed by now, my 1968 4" with .22 Long Rifle stamped clearly on the barrel had a .22 Magnum cylinder. I have heard of some Diamondbacks leaving the factory with 2 cylinders, .22 LR and Magnum. Have I stumbled upon a hen's tooth?

Addendum: Serial Number D24XXX

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
New info may have surfaced since my discussions with Kathy Hoyt, prior to her retirement, but as of our last conversations, the official Colt historians postion was that 22 magnum Diamondbacks did not exist and none had ever lettered as a genuine 22 magnum...Her words, not mine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts