Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a diamondback 38 spl that is dated 1977...In the early 80's it went from original blue to bright nickel.
At first it looked very good. after 30 years and some shooting the plating is peeling off and it looks pretty bad. I showed to a gunsmith friend and he said the plating wasn't done right. OK, so now I want to restore it. I'm going to sent it back to Colt for a factory fresh refinish and tune up. My question is this: Do I restore it to original blue or go with nickel now that I have a choice?...Collector value aside I think I would like the blue...Any advice would be appreciated. thanks,vinny

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
MHO is it will not have any collector value one way or the other as it will always be a twive refinished revolver. I would have it fiished in whatever way will make YOU the happiest

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
You will be able to go back to blue but be prepared to spend a little extra to have your stamping recut as they already have been buffed once and this will be the second time around.

If you like blue, go blue I say!

Before and afters please :cool:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You will be able to go back to blue but be prepared to spend a little extra to have your stamping recut as they already have been buffed once and this will be the second time around.

If you like blue, go blue I say!

Before and afters please :cool:
imagine a Chinese chrome bumper after a couple of years...that's "before"!...I'll post the "after" pics when I get it back...Colt says maybe 6 months.

·
Banned
15,890 Posts
Is the buffing process the same for nickel vs blue?
Contrary to popular belief, nickel requires more careful polishing then blue.
There was for years a rumor that Colt Pythons that were nickel plated were "seconds" that had a defect and the nickel would "cover it up". For that reason, for some years people wouldn't buy a nickel model.

The truth is, nickel has to be even more carefully polished because the nickel will make any defects MORE visible.
Which ever way you decide to go, Colt can make it look like a factory new gun as long as the previous polishing wasn't done by a non-Colt polisher and the metal was over buffed.

·
Registered
293 Posts
+1 on the last post. Colt will only take on a refinish job if the "patient" can be made to look like a new gun. If there's pitting, or it's been overbuffed previously, they'll decline the job.

·
Premium Member
9,737 Posts
A refinished gun is a refinished gun. Two wrongs do not make a right.

Unless a future buyer is unaware of the refinish, the cost of the refinish and the diminution of value will never be recovered in a lifetime. Leave it as is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts