Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My last question for tonight. I have a Colt Diamondback, .38, blued with a 4" barrel. I lost the original grips on it many years ago and currently have Pachmayr Presentation Grips on it. I am looking for a pair of wood grips or bonded ivory grips for a better look. I bought the gun new in 1979 and it was my sidearm when I was an LEO. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
There are several styles out there from service, target, silver or gold medallions, aftermarket or original. It depends on what you want and how much you want to spend. Nice OEM factory stocks can get pricey. Do a search on ebay or Gunbroker for Diamondback grips or Colt D frame grips. Also check www.GunGrip.com

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,441 Posts
As above, you need to decide what type of grips you'd like.
You can find original Diamondback factory Target grips, but originals are very expensive and can cost well over $150 and more.

For after market grips, you have a fairly wide choice, ranging from the popular fancy wood Hogue Mono-Grip, to various combat type grips made of wood or synthetic materials.

Prices range from cheap plastics to very expensive woods or even real ivory or stag.

Here's some companies who sell Colt "D" frame grips. Note that after 1966 all Colt small "D" frame revolvers could use the same grips, so grips from the post-1966 Detective Special, Cobra, Agent, and Diamondback are interchangeable.
So if you see a set you like, but are listed as Detective Special grips, they'll fit your Diamondback.

Hogue - The finest gun grips, rifle stocks, knives, holsters and accessories
Hogue offers fancy woods, and options like with or without finger grooves and contrasting grip caps. These are the most secure mounting grips made since they use a special stirrup and screw to mount them on the frame. A little hard to get on, but once on they don't shift.

Gun Grip - Colt Double Action Revolver Grips
Fancy wood and plastic replicas of factory Detective Special grips.

COLT D FRAME
Laminated wood.

Colt Detective Special, Cobra, Agent (D-Frame) Grips: grips4guns.com
Laminate and synthetic.

Det. Spl, Diamondback, & D frame | Hand Gun Grips, Gun Handles, Pistol Grip from Eagle Grips - Eagle Grips Inc. - Gun Grips
Top quality, they also apparently offer custom grips from other materials. Call for details.

Colt - Products
Laminate

Gun stocks by Herrett's Stocks, Inc.
Old line custom grip maker. Send them a tracing of your hand and they custom fit the grips to you.

Boone Trading Company - Pistol Grips
Real ivory and higher end simulated ivory. You have to call for Diamondback availability and prices.

Colt Grips - Custom Pistol Grips and Kits - CollinsCraftGrips
Various materials and he offers custom work.

Elen Hunting & Importing Inc.: Stag Grips - Ivory Grips - Pearl Grips
Total custom, the skies the limit, if you can afford it they'll do it. You have to call.

Nutmeg Sports, LLC
High end, mostly real ivory, did work for Colt. You have to call.

·
Premium Member
3,395 Posts
My last question for tonight. I have a Colt Diamondback, .38, blued with a 4" barrel. I lost the original grips on it many years ago and currently have Pachmayr Presentation Grips on it. I am looking for a pair of wood grips or bonded ivory grips for a better look. I bought the gun new in 1979 and it was my sidearm when I was an LEO. Thanks guys.
I have a pair I would sell.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As above, you need to decide what type of grips you'd like.
You can find original Diamondback factory Target grips, but originals are very expensive and can cost well over $150 and more.

For after market grips, you have a fairly wide choice, ranging from the popular fancy wood Hogue Mono-Grip, to various combat type grips made of wood or synthetic materials.

Prices range from cheap plastics to very expensive woods or even real ivory or stag.

Here's some companies who sell Colt "D" frame grips. Note that after 1966 all Colt small "D" frame revolvers could use the same grips, so grips from the post-1966 Detective Special, Cobra, Agent, and Diamondback are interchangeable.
So if you see a set you like, but are listed as Detective Special grips, they'll fit your Diamondback.

Hogue - The finest gun grips, rifle stocks, knives, holsters and accessories
Hogue offers fancy woods, and options like with or without finger grooves and contrasting grip caps. These are the most secure mounting grips made since they use a special stirrup and screw to mount them on the frame. A little hard to get on, but once on they don't shift.

Gun Grip - Colt Double Action Revolver Grips
Fancy wood and plastic replicas of factory Detective Special grips.

COLT D FRAME
Laminated wood.

Colt Detective Special, Cobra, Agent (D-Frame) Grips: grips4guns.com
Laminate and synthetic.

Det. Spl, Diamondback, & D frame | Hand Gun Grips, Gun Handles, Pistol Grip from Eagle Grips - Eagle Grips Inc. - Gun Grips
Top quality, they also apparently offer custom grips from other materials. Call for details.

Colt - Products
Laminate

Gun stocks by Herrett's Stocks, Inc.
Old line custom grip maker. Send them a tracing of your hand and they custom fit the grips to you.

Boone Trading Company - Pistol Grips
Real ivory and higher end simulated ivory. You have to call for Diamondback availability and prices.

Colt Grips - Custom Pistol Grips and Kits - CollinsCraftGrips
Various materials and he offers custom work.

Elen Hunting & Importing Inc.: Stag Grips - Ivory Grips - Pearl Grips
Total custom, the skies the limit, if you can afford it they'll do it. You have to call.

Nutmeg Sports, LLC
High end, mostly real ivory, did work for Colt. You have to call.
Thanks for all the great info! My searches only brought up a couple of possibilities. Nothing at gun shows or at my LGS(s).

·
Registered
645 Posts
This may seem like a pita, but grip crafter John Culina advised me that if He received at least 30 requests for Colt Diamondback grips/stocks, He'd consider designing and building custom Grips for Diamondbacks.
Here's a link to his website: Culina LLC
There's got to be 30 members on this site who are interested in a first rate set of custom grips for Colt Diamondback.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.