Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that there are different nickel finishes on colt diamondbacks. One is nickel, the other is electroless nickel. Is there any difference in the price of these guns? Also, I would like to know the estimated value.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Re: colt diamondback nickel vs electrolysis

I believe the term is Electroless Nickel. Unless the gun is having Kidney problems. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Sorry, it's just me being a smart A$$.
It's more of a matt finish and sometimes gets confused as a Stainless steel rather than a plated nickel.
I tend to see more Bright Nickel guns than the E-nickel guns.
That could just be on my side of the country though.
***I don't see enough of either one to tell if there's a price difference. Sorry.
As far as an estimate of value goes, you would need to know the Barrel length, Caliber, condition, originality including grips/stocks, box & papers and so forth.
Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
794 Posts

I am laughing too hard from Jeff's comments to be able to respond! Good one! Thanks.

(Please understand I not making fun of anyone, I just love the wit involved!)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

ok boys now we have our spelling down I still need to know if the electroless finish gun is worth as much as the nickel finish both 22, 6", no papers, excellent condition.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

moonboy, I will chime in here.
If you have a .22LR 6" in excellent condition with no box or papers, it would probably bring $1200 or slightly more in todays market. Now as for the same gun in electroless nickel, I have never seen one and don't know of any in existance. But never say never. If such a gun exists, I would think it would bring a slight premium over the high bright nickel as very few of any bore or length were done in EN. What I would be very very wary of is to make sure it is not hard chromed (after market), which looks a lot like electroless nickel, fakes are out there. If it is hard chromed, it might be worth $400-450 to someone as a shooter, but has no collector value.
HTH

·
Registered
794 Posts

Well moonboy, if you own 22 caliber 6" Diamondback's in both nickel and E-nickel, you are sitting on a gold mine, IMHO.

The 22 6" nickel is in very high demand and can get rather pricy. (Check out some of the older posts on the subject in this forum.) Folks have easily spent $1200 and more for one of these in high condition. Some figures report in the area of 2000 nickel Diamondback's produced, but I do not know that for a fact.

The 22 6" E-nickel is a gun that interests me but I have not run across one. Nor have I taken notice of them selling on the auction sites. In fact I do not really know they exist. So I do not have any numbers on prices the E-nickel 22's might command. I would suspect because of their relative scarcity (if indeed they do exist) that prices would be commensurate to the nickel guns, perhaps higher.

Sorry I couldn't be any more specific, but suffice it to say, you have 2 very special guns that are well worth keeping.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Could it have been a special run? I have a 4 inch .38 Diamondback in Electroless Nickel. It came from the Colt Custom Gun Shop.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I have a 4 inch .38 Diamondback in Electroless Nickel.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the one most commonly seen in E-nickel and not too many of those around either.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Back in March of this year, there was some discussion about a 6" 22 Electroless nickel Diamondback. Based on that thread, it appears the electroless DB's appear to have been a custom shop offering from formerly blued guns. They were never cataloged. Hence, they are likely to be pretty low production revolvers within the Diamondback line.

Price should be at least as high as a similar specimen in bright nickel. Guess we'll see what kind of price that one on Gunbroker brings. I suspect it will be too rich for me.

Moonboy: If you have one, we'd love to see it (both actually). I would also like to know the serial number prefix.

I just reread the thread and suspect you are looking at the one on Gun Broker. Good luck bidding!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts