·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cylinder Trigger Air gun Gas Gun accessory

Revolver Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

Trigger Air gun Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory

Hello
I recently purchased a Colt Diamondback 2” in 38 Special. It is in real good shape but it has a small blemish on side plate area.
I always wanted a Diamondback and couldn’t pass on the deal for this one. ($900).
I want to get her refinished but Im torn with getting her re-blued or Hard Chromed. I really dig the “stainless” look but blue looks awesome as well.
I know Colt never made any stainless Diamondbacks and that’s kind of why I’m thinking of the blue.
She is not going to be a collector queen or anything but just don’t know which way to go.
The reblueing is more than the Hard Chrome so that’s helping a bit.
The blemish is on the opposite side. I will upload some pics but these were the ones I had on my phone.
Pics make her look great and I know it is all relative but it’s one of those things that I will always look at an brother the $h!t out me.
Ideas or Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I will give you a grand plus shipping and you can put that towards a start up fund for a perfect gun….plus another 500 at a minimum for a refinish and you have a good start towards a more perfect gun.

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
If you don’t mind lowering the value of your Diamondback and it will make you happy then a professional reblue would probably be best, since it would letter as blue. Just my opinion.

ll
That's a nice-looking Diamondback. Just my opinion, but I would leave it as-is.
I agree with the gentlemen from Texas and Florida...leave it as it is, shoot it and enjoy it.
A quality reblue is pricy and lowers the value of the Diamondback. Chrome would lower it even more.
I understand wanting a "perfect" Diamondback but unless there is a big area on bare metal on the right side...leave it alone and shoot it!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you don’t mind lowering the value of your Diamondback and it will make you happy then a professional reblue would probably be best, since it would letter as blue. Just my opinion.

ll
That’s something I didn’t think about. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will give you a grand plus shipping and you can put that towards a start up fund for a perfect gun….plus another 500 at a minimum for a refinish and you have a good start towards a more perfect gun.
I know. Like I said it’s all relative. Some ppl are OCD and maybe it’s me. Guess it’s like an idiot scratch on a 1911.
I will try to post pics of the blemish. Blue guns always come out perfect in photos. 😁

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
A gun in original condition, warts & all, has a brighter future than one that has been 'improved' upon. There is no advantage in refinishing a decent gun. If it is a totally wreck, then there is no harm in doing a rehab, but if it is not, a better solution would be to move it along. You can make a couple bucks easy, and be in good shape to find one that you can live with.
The thing is original just the one time.
My safe is chuckerblock full of well used shooters, some with real cosmetic issues, some with very little finish left, but all in unmolested original finish, just beat up. There are a few in there with a crappy refinish. I prefer the beat up ones.
I would suggest that you feel the same about blemished guns as I feel about refinished ones.
I have fixed some badly injured and some not so bad without going to the extreme.
There are folks here who would gladly take that awful blemished imperfect thing off your hands and treat you right.
Do whatever you want.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know, I know 😂
I have a couple of safe queens and when I compare them is when it stands out.

The blueing is actually pretty good for a 1968 Snake and that’s why I jumped on it.

I have some police trade ins and a WWII Remington Rand that the finish tells a bit of the history. I have to think the same for the Diamondback.

Here are some pics of the blemishes. Looks like a little bit of pitting as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Love the 4 inchers! Wood grips for a Diamondback are kind of like gold right now. Well over $100. That’s why I went with the Pacmayrs. I have the original small wood ones but they are a bit small for me.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I know, I know 😂
I have a couple of safe queens and when I compare them is when it stands out.

The blueing is actually pretty good for a 1968 Snake and that’s why I jumped on it.

I have some police trade ins and a WWII Remington Rand that the finish tells a bit of the history. I have to think the same for the Diamondback.

Here are some pics of the blemishes. Looks like a little bit of pitting as well.
The spots a pretty bad looking but overall, it's still a nice looking Colt DB. I would not re-finish because it would lower the value.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,771 Posts
Whether to refinish and what type of finish is totally up to you.
Any number of us have spent money on a gun that might be better not worked on price-wise.

If you want to go with a reblue, get it done right, not butchered.
The two sources for "done right" bluing are Glenrock and Precision...............

Glenrock Blue--Custom Gun Bluing

Precision Bluing | America's #1 Bluing Company!

If you want hard chrome, APW/Cogan and "possibly" Ford's. Cogan is probably the best all around gun finisher and is very well known for top quality hard chrome.

Ford's Custom Gun Refinishing | Crystal River, FL

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Whether to refinish and what type of finish is totally up to you.
Any number of us have spent money on a gun that might be better not worked on price-wise.

If you want to go with a reblue, get it done right, not butchered.
The two sources for "done right" bluing are Glenrock and Precision...............

Glenrock Blue--Custom Gun Bluing

Precision Bluing | America's #1 Bluing Company!

If you want hard chrome, APW/Cogan and "possibly" Ford's. Cogan is probably the best all around gun finisher and is very well known for top quality hard chrome.

Ford's Custom Gun Refinishing | Crystal River, FL
Thanks!
I have used APW/Cogan and they do indeed do fantastic work.
Fords is abt an 1hr away so I may just pay them a visit.
The reblueing is a bit more than the Hard Chrome but since it won’t be a collector queen, I don’t want to be in to it more than what it’s worth. Regardless, she will be a keeper.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
That "blemish" is a bit rougher than I expected.
I would still leave it alone and use it as a shooter.
Possibly the right pair of wood grips would cover at least part of the "blemish" and make it a little less obvious.
Like others have said...it's your gun and your money and this is still America...you can do anything you want with it.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts