Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two Colt Diamondbacks in nickel finish which are both N.I.B, both are 22cal. w/ 6" barrels, my question is one has an "R" prefix and the other one is a "P" prefix, the "R" prefix should be one of the 1979 guns that were made, but what would be the case with the "P" prefix gun? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks, AL

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
The 6" nickeled .22lr Diamondback was only made in 1979. Are you sure the "P" is not a lightly stamped "R"?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
30th ta, Majic

If you recall, this came up once before.
The "R" prefix is correct for the 1979 guns, but apparently they (Colt) also made a few Diamondbacks, sometimes matched with a Python, in the 82-84 time frame as some sort of Bank or S&L promotion pieces. I recall one guy had his fathers prize win of a (6" Nickel 22LR) Diamondback and a nickel Python from a bank in Indiana promotion for depositing some large amount in their bank.
Another guy in Pennsylvania I know has one with the "P" prefix.
What I don't know is how many of these were ever made, but I am attempting to do further research. I doubt if it was very many although I can't imagine Colt "cranking up" for just a handful of guns, but maybe.

------------------
Dick

There is a word sweeter than mother, home or heaven--
That word is Liberty.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts