Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has Colt ever built a 16" Carbine dissapator with standard 20" rifle hand gaurds and sight distance? If so do you know in what configuration it was made? This really looks like a great idea for someone who wants an open sight carbine but at the same time have the advantage of the longer sight radius.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I've been sniffing after those at CDNN and concur that it's a great idea for iron sights. I can't speak to how legitimate this package may be, but I have read that having too little barrel after the gas block can be problematic for operating the system. I've never read if these guns have a separate gas block or the usual one as part of the front sight.
Let's hope some discussion here will shed some light on this concept.
Moon

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Has Colt ever built a 16" Carbine dissapator with standard 20" rifle hand gaurds and sight distance? If so do you know in what configuration it was made? This really looks like a great idea for someone who wants an open sight carbine but at the same time have the advantage of the longer sight radius.
CDNN Sports had a batch of Colt LE marked used very good condition on sale last April this year, it does not have an official catalog model but it is the model AR6536.

The configuration of the CDNN are 6721 (HBAR barrel), upper with A2 fixed carry handle, carbine gas system with front sight base shaved, a 0.625" diameter front sight base installed at the rifle length location, 1/9 twist.

The lower of the CDNN Colt Dissipator carbine are LE6520 "AR-15A2 Gov't Carbine" marked and the buttstock group was changed to a non Colt mil-spec, the receiver extension are 6 position (not sure if it is mil-spec or commercial size) and the M4 buttstock looks like a commercial style with the rounded front end at the front of the stock adjustment lever.

It was speculated that the original buttstock from the factory probably was fixed A2, then the LE agency changed them to a 6 position collapsible carbine stocks.

Hmmm, I wish I had not sold my old 6721 HBAR barrel back in 2005, I could have converted it to a Colt Dissipator upper but with a Colt flat top upper receiver.

Here's an older thead about the CDNN Colt Dissipator carbine.

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/colt-long-guns/64073-colt-ar-6536-ar-15a2-government-carbine-dissipator.html

·
Registered
852 Posts
Okay, separate gas block, answers that question.
Let's try for an answer to this one; why was the dissipator created? Carbine with full length sighting system, or was there some other rationale?
Moon

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I ordered a 16" barrel with rifle length sights and hand guards and a carbine gas tube setup. I'm going to swap out parts on one of my uppers to see how I like it and if I do I'll be hunting down one of the Colts if I can find one for a good price.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Had to reorder a barrel from someone else as I didnt want to wait 6 to 8 months as I found out after it was ordered. So I ordered it from MGW on Monday and installed it on my gun early this evening. I have to say the rifle sights are easier on my old eyes. It just seems to be easier to focus on the front sight than it was with the carbine front sight. I used a Bushmaster Dissipator barrel, it's a 16" H-Bar chrome bore and chamber with carbine gas block, 1 in 9" twist and A2 front sight base. I was suprised to see it come with a detent, spring, and 4 sided pin come installed on it. Went with a Magpul Moe rifle handguard. The gun balances between the delta ring and the handguard feels okay with the stubby stock.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I don't have the scratch right now, but the HBar is also a deal killer. I really don't care for heavy ARs. (We had a buddy's carbine to the range the other day; it was someplace north of 12 lbs and it made me tired trying to hold it up.....).
When the ban first sunsetted, I snagged an HBar and had a hard time figuring out why it felt so different than the one I was issued in '70....
Moon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts