Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have 3 colt revolvers. Can anyone identify their build year?

Python: serial number 68430 E

Police Positive Special: 04900 R also has a C under the serial number

Detective Special: C12658

Any help would be appreciated on their age. This is a great site.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,229 Posts
Python...1977

Police Positive Special...1977, the "C" is an inspector's mark.

Detective Special...1972. If it has the shrouded barrel, it's the first year of production of the new shrouded, heavy barrel.

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 01-21-2004).]

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for the info. And yes it is a shrouded barrel on the Detective Special. Would this be a second issue Detective? I have read the third issue started in 1973.

Also a dealer had a Detective Special with an unshrouded ejector rod. He wanted $279 for it. It appeared to be in excellent condition with 98% blue. Does the price sound reasonable? I do not know its serial number.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
bigjohn

Any time you can get an older model DS for that kind of price....BUY IT!

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT JOIN THE NRA
JUST IN CASE!

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,229 Posts
Your Detective Special is a Third issue.

There's some discussion about "issues" with the DS.
First issue is from 1927 to ??. And here the problems start.

The DS was changed to the "D" designation after World War II, and they changed from the old cylinder retention system to the new type at that time. Some people think this should count as a "issue" change.

Second?? issue runs from the 1950's when the butt was changed to the "stubby" type, until 1972.

Third Issue was the change to the shrouded barrel in 1972, which means your's is a first year production gun.

Later in the mid-70's Colt changed to the new ejector rod system...Fourth issue??

In the mid-90's Colt made another production run of shrouded guns, which for some reason people want to call a "fourth issue", or maybe it's a FIFTH issue??

Then there's the stainless steel DS II, a SIXTH issue??

Any Colt DS in good condition and 98% ORIGINAL blue is a steal at that price.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info and advice guys. I have not been able to get to the gun shop to see the revolver again. It is a fair piece from my house (100 Miles). If it is there when I go back I will buy it, if not I will kick myself in the butt for not getting it earlier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts