Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Colt Double Action New Army in 38 colt cal. It has a side plate on the right side. I took the plate off to clean and can't get it back on right. When pulling the trigger it hangs on the hammer and lets the hammer down as I release the trigger. It seem to have something to do with the hand. If I leave it out both double and single action works. Numrich shows a digram of this revolver but none of the how to books show it. Any suggestions
rockhillarms

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi,
Reading your description, it sounds like you don't have the hand spring in the proper position in relation to the side plate as you put it back together. Try taking the side plate off. Make sure that all the interal parts are in their proper positions and that the hand is fully forward with the hand spring to the rear. Then take the side plate and make sure that the pin engages the rear face of the hand spring as you slide the side plate forward and into its recess on the frame. In other words, you are engaging the hand spring with the side plate pin and pushing the spring forward as you slip the side plate into place... Hope that helps. Bob Best

·
Registered
150 Posts
R Hill-I have a late example of this revolver and have also removed the sideplate to clean and relube 100 yrs. plus of dried oil, etc. Bob described exactly both your problem and solution. Only thing I might add is to carefully work the action with the sideplate off to see the relationship of parts and exactly where that pesky hand spring should be when the plate is replaced. The amount of machining of intricate parts and subsequent handfitting that had to be involved in this complex mechanism is incredible and can only be appreciated when the sideplate is removed- which is made easier than with the succeeding models because it's on the side opposite the cylinder release. Mine was fired very little, locks up tighter than a safe, and once the lockwork was cleaned and relubed, is nearly as smooth as my Pythons. -Asa

1 - 3 of 3 Posts