Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy All...I just obtained a Double Eagle Combat Commander. It is in nearly new condition with box and manual. I was told it had been residing in a safe since 1991. I don't really know what these go for these days but I traded for it and figure I didn't do too badly. I I know The double Eagle wasn't a commercial success but I have always found it to be an interesting variation of the Colt/Browning design. The DA trigger on this example is surprisingly smooth and is better than the Beretta 92 and Sig DA triggers I have tried. The SA is about average for a factory Colt 1911 these days. I haven't fired it yet so I can't comment on accuracy. I removed the grips, its a MKII so nothing fell off the frame but the mechanism looks a bit like a Rube Goldberg machine.

I wonder what one of these would be worth these days? The values I have seen vary by a good bit. I know its really worth what its worth to me but I am curious what the cognocetti on this forum think. I noted that the grip screws were pretty hard to remove and found them to have what looked like red thread locking compound on them and the outline of the grips(stocks, if you will) looks like something was there that appeared to be either old grease or perhaps some type of sealant. I wonder whether the previous owner attempted to seal the pistol's internals like that or would it have come from the factory like that? The previous owner says he never removed the grips and the screw heads exhibited no signs of being damaged as one might expect from attempting to remove the screws. I have never encountered a pistol with this sort of red stuff on the grip screw threads that was done by the factory. Any thoughts or opinions on these questions would be welcome...Thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry, I neglected to notice that I put "Conbat Commander" instead of "Conbat Commander"...Pardon my negligence...

·
Registered
425 Posts
Sorry, I neglected to notice that I put "Conbat Commander" instead of "Conbat Commander"...Pardon my negligence...

????

Is it possible for you to post a picture? I've never heard of or seen this model and it sounds very interesting.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ahahaha...Very witty...Yes, I missed the "M" key again...Must be related to that pesky stroke I had a few years ago...So, that I don't waste anymore time looking for helpful replies to my thread...The model is a Colt Double Eagle Combat Commander...Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts