Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not very knowledgeable about the differences in many of the Colt revolvers.

As I peruse GunBroker (& others) observing what's out there, I see references to these two SS .38spl snubbies. Could someone please tell me the difference(s) and if one is any better/stronger/more desireable than the other?

(I'm going to try to slip another question in here...)
Why were some Agents given a dull parkerized finish while other Agents received the Cobra-like polished blue finish?
What's the difference between the Cobra and the polished blue Agent?

Thanks for helping a Colt newbie. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
There are some very previous posts on these guns but, the SF-VI and DS-II are essentially the same gun. The story is there were still some Det Specs in the pipeline when the small frame stainless guns were introduced in 1995. So, not to confuse the issue :rolleyes: the first was called the Small Frame (roman numeral) six shot or SF-VI. A year later, it was essentially renamed DS-II. The factory stocks were slightly different, but otherwise no real difference. The Magnum Carry is also essentially the same gun, with whatever changes to accomodate the 357s and sporting Hogue monogrips.

The parkerized later Agents seem to be the same story as Commando Specials and Peacekeepers. Less polishing required so lower cost. Agents and Cobras are also essentially the same gun. I believe the earlier Agents had a shorter grip frame until they all became short around '66?
:cool:

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

What's the difference between the Cobra and the polished blue Agent?
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
i will add just a little,besides the short grip, the agent was offered in .38 spl only. the cobra was offered in .22, .32,.38 spl and possibly .38np. i would suggest rl wilsons book "colt an american legend" which every colt owner should have.

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
i have to get my grandkids to read mine to me /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, i just look at the pictures /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif i mention the single chambering in the agent as i belive it was the only d-frame with a single chambering and bbl length.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Well, apparently some "issues" of other models like DS and Border Patrol were single caliber but the Agent may be the only one in all "issues" unless you want to count the Aircrewman and Pequano. You need to read the Bible more. ;)
Oh, I forgot - only Addicted counts those. :D

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
well jim you have me!! let me rephrase. the agent was the only commercial{available to everyone and not special ordered}d-frame available in one caliber and 1 bbl length{i think}i cant prove it but i dont think the agent was offered in nickle either. heaven help me i have painted my self into a corner AND stole this thread. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Actually, I don't think the thread was stolen at all. The question was asked about the model differences. I just took the opportunity to look through the BOCF and learn some trivia. Hey, how about Colt Trivial Pursuit as an alternative to "Name that gun"? :cool:

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
My Agent is one of the low polish ones A1A spoke of. It isn't pretty but it shoots extremely well. Beauty I guess is in the eyes of the beholder and mines a beauty to me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts