Colt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a picture of the Colt DS (ca 1940) that I picked up recently at a show. It has been parkerized (looks like an old military parkerizing). Anyone every seen a DS with an Ordnance mark like this? I know Pate mention's this in his book, yet this is the first one I have seen.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Is there an R in the middle of the bomb? If so, it may have made a trip to Spain in it's past.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. I know the picture could be better as I am still practicing with my digital camera. There is not an "R" on the side plate. Interesting to note that R marked revolvers designate export to Spain-correct?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Yup, but the R would not be on the sideplate per se, but in the center of the circle inside the bomb. May take a maginfying glass to see.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi ColtLarry,
Charlie Pate's book eludes to the fact that the early shipments of the DS were marked with the ordnance mark, while later ones were merely punch marked. You didn't mention the serial number of your gun. Is it in the correct range to be a military DS? I would think a Colt Letter would tell you for sure where your gun was shipped. If you give the serial number, possibly other forum readers can tell you if they are aware of other DS guns that were shipped to the Government near your serial number.Bob Best

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi DiamondBack68,
Can you give me the source for your information that a US ordnance mark with an R inside indicates a shipment to Spain? Thanks! Bob Best

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
COLTDAGUY, I was just trying to help the guy narrow down the posibilities. The flame bomb R proof mark is pretty common and comes from Eibar Spain and can be found in the the back of Fjestad's Blue Book. It looked almost like it in the photos. The mark is found on Star and a lot of other Spainish guns.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi Diamondback68,
I was just curious, I collect US Military Guns and had never heard of a US Ordnance proof with an R signifying shipment to Spain...Thanks! Bob Best

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
Take a look at the Ordnance "bomb" and "Verified Proof" stampings under high magnification. If the "bottom" of the stampings appears burnished, that means they were applied after the finish was applied, which would indicate the gun was originally Parkerized when made, and that it still has its original finish. If the "bottom" of the stampings does not appear burnished, that indicates the finish was applied after the gun was made, and it is a refinish.

Checking out an original WWII Commando will show how the stampings should look.

A Colt letter would also indentify the original finish. However, it could still be refinished even if the original finish were Parkerizing. The condition of the stampings is the clue to original refinish, unless someone has duplicated the stamps, which I believe to be unlikely.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JColt,
The US ordnance mark seems to have been applied before the finish. I would imagine that this one was originally shipped blued, and then marked and parkerized later in life. I have a colt 1908 25 cal that is ordnance marked and parkerized, which I know was common practice during and after WWII according to Pate's book. By the way, the serial # is 468401. I'm keeping this one, but any ideas on a value for something like this?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
rm vivas,
Thanks for the info. I saw a blued Official Police with this mark at the same show as I purchased the DS. I wish I would have bought them both!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Diamondback68,
I was just curious, I collect US Military Guns and had never heard of a US Ordnance proof with an R signifying shipment to Spain...Thanks! Bob Best

[/ QUOTE ]

What I was alluding to was, it would be a re-import of a gun shipped there, proofed there and sent back, similar to a lot of Brit guns. HTH

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi Judge,

On your comment:

>The condition of the stampings is the clue to original >refinish, unless someone has duplicated the stamps, which >I believe to be unlikely.

The stamps HAVE been duplicated along with other US stamps and are available. A couple of "restorers" are using them. I have seen them... CAVET EMPETOR! Bob Best

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
"The stamps HAVE been duplicated along with other US stamps and are available. A couple of "restorers" are using them. I have seen them... CAVET EMPETOR! Bob Best"

Oh No! Now I wonder if my Ordnance-marked guns are Legit. How long have such stamps been in existence?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi Judge,
The stamps have been available to anyone who wanted to order them for a long time, but I was referring specifically to the ones advertised in either Gun List or Shotgun News for about $60 each awhile back. I was shown a set and they look pretty good. Also you should know that a number of Commando marked 2 inch barrel were sold on the commercial market after the war. From an estate, I acquired an OP model that had one of the barrels installed. It wasn't completed before the guy died. He was making a rare 2" commando model...Take a look at all of the "Aircrewmen" that have been "restored" its happening to other models too... As I said, Buyer Beware! Bob Best

1 - 18 of 18 Posts