Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Premium Member
This winter's project is to get all of the guns out of the safe, photograph them and wipe them down real good with RIG (blue only, nickel guns get Renaissance wax). I got this pair of Q numbered duo-tone Scouts out and thought I would post a photo of them. The serial numbers are 7808Q and 7809Q and they are unfired in the original boxes (correctly labeled and serial numbered). The Colt Archive letter says the pair was shipped to Ben Milgrim in Joplin, Missouri on January 22, 1958. Ben Milgrim operated a sporting goods store there for many years and I believe the store still is in business and in the Milgrim family. I found them at the Colt Collector's Association convention in Concord, North Carolina a few years ago. They sat on the seller's table for the entire show and I bought them just as he was getting ready to pack them up on Sunday. A friend of mine is a long time collector of the SA .22 revolvers and he passed them by because he thought they would not letter as a "pair". Imagine his disappointment when the letter arrived and showed them to have been shipped on the same day to the same purchaser!

- - - Buckspen
View attachment 47210

Premium Member
The cost of the pair was $1800 and I consider that to be a very good price. It's the only consecutively numbered pair of duotone Scouts I've even seen. I realize that many shooters and collectors do not attach a premium to factory verified pairs of guns, but some do and I am one of them. Each to his own, I guess.

- - - Buckspen

Registered
Buckspen, I'm an admirer of the New Frontier .22s and have more than I have grand kids to leave them to! I'm not a big worshiper or hunter of "matched pairs or consequtive numbers", but man, what a pair you have there! Beauties that can stand the test of time, how could it be better? Great set , best regards, Nick

Registered
Revolver Gun Firearm Trigger Starting pistol

I just found this nice F series 1958 Scout for $400. Someone had painted the interior of the grip panels white and the firing pin spring was stuck in a compressed mode after sitting so many years. A though cleaning and disassembly has made this old girl look and shoot great again!

Registered
Gentlemen, great photo's! I now have the bug for some of these fine Scout's. On the recommendation of a few forum members I have been reading, "Scouts, Peacemakers and New Frontiers in 22 Caliber." Just yesterday I was reading up on the Duotone Model, before that was the K series Scouts. The problem is I am like a little kid and want everything. Thanks for this thread & I always welcome your advice. Jack

Premium Member
It can happen. I have a pair of Duotones, serial numbers 7808Q and 7809Q. I happened to drop in to the Cabela's store a few weeks ago and they had a Duotone in the Gun Library. I asked to see the gun and found that the serial number was 7807Q!!!!!! Needless to say, I bought the gun right away. It is a bit more worn than the pair I have, but who cares.

- - - -Buckspen

Registered
What are the chances to find one numbered right before yours, unbelievable. Play the lottery Bruce.

It can happen. I have a pair of Duotones, serial numbers 7808Q and 7809Q. I happened to drop in to the Cabela's store a few weeks ago and they had a Duotone in the Gun Library. I asked to see the gun and found that the serial number was 7807Q!!!!!! Needless to say, I bought the gun right away. It is a bit more worn than the pair I have, but who cares.

- - - -Buckspen

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It can happen. I have a pair of Duotones, serial numbers 7808Q and 7809Q. I happened to drop in to the Cabela's store a few weeks ago and they had a Duotone in the Gun Library. I asked to see the gun and found that the serial number was 7807Q!!!!!! Needless to say, I bought the gun right away. It is a bit more worn than the pair I have, but who cares. - - - -Buckspen
I really believe Bruce's name should be mentioned somewhere in Don Wilkerson's book.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.