Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.. I am not 100% sure that's why I am asking. I went to Colt's website and found that the Python Elite is still on their website. Did they or did they not discontinue the production?

FC

·
Registered
991 Posts
I don't think anyone is 100% certain. They haven't been manufacturing the Python Elite for quite some time. First reason I heard (around this time last year) was they had a serious priority back log of 1911's that were in production. Of course, there's the recent rumors of "never again" and Colt selling the commercial business. Nothing has been substantiated that I know of, but the future still looks bleak.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I doubt that it's available.

I wouldn't put too much faith in the Colt website these days, it is hopelessly out of date. The latest news entry is dated June 1, 2004. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

·
Registered
27 Posts
Colt has confirmed, in conversations that I've had with them and that others have had, that there are no plans whatsoever to restart revolver production.

In addition, I've talked to a well-known industry source (whose name you would all recognize) who says that his contacts at Colt have told him that the tooling and fixturing for Pythons and other revolvers have been scrapped.

Keep in mind that this is, as yet, unconfirmed and should be treated as "strong rumor" - but given the reputation of the person I talked to, and his contacts in the industry, I suspect it to be true.

·
Registered
27 Posts
UPDATE

Over on sixgunner.com, Michael Bane has just confirmed that Colt has indeed scrapped all revolver tooling and fixturing.

(To be honest, I'd actually hoped that my source would be shown to be wrong.)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess that's that. The final nail in the coffin.

/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

·
Registered
400 Posts
Well that's a darn shame. How come the liberals don't get upset about this historical loss? The handguns that came off that line were used in how many wars and to save how many lives? Those toolings should be donated to the Smithsonian in Washington D.C. as a piece of american history not sold for scrap. We should start a petition on this website and others like this one for just that to be done.

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts